Run Built-In Routines from Script

Do you know of a feature that UVK should have? Post it here!
zbmowrey

Run Built-In Routines from Script

Post by zbmowrey »

I can't remember if this has ever been discussed and a search didn't lead me to any good results, so forgive me if we've talked about this one before...

I'd like <tags> for script files that are able to call your built-in app routines.

Somewhat like <FixWindowsUpdate>, except that <RunMalwareBytes> would call your automation routine (check, download, update, install, run) for MBAM, then return to script.

Is that feasible?

If so, it would allow total customization of repair process order. Those who want to use the System Repair menu and do so according to the logic there could still do that, while those of us who want to run the fixes in very non-conventional orders (sometimes with good cause), could do so.
zbmowrey

Re: Run Built-In Routines from Script

Post by zbmowrey »

Saw the new beta! Will be putting this into use tomorrow - thank you, thank you, thank you! This is exactly what I needed to 'just run it' from a script...

Also, really loving the "top apps" section and ability to add and rearrange - gives a graphical way to do the same thing. I assume the app-duplication bug was also squashed? Will test and report.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Hi zbmowrey. I thought I had replied to your first post in this topic, but it seems like I didn't. I guess I just forgot to submit my answer and then closed the browser.

Anyway, it was just to tell I was going to ad the requested tags.

Glad you liked the new features. And yes, the problem with the duplicated apps was fixed, but now you have more powerful features, and probably won't need to create custom apps with the same names as the existing fixes anymore.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
zbmowrey

Post by zbmowrey »

That's a fair point - in the adrenaline rush I got from seeing the new features, I completely missed the point that I'd no longer need to use the duplicated names. The best way to squash a bug? Create a feature that makes it unnecessary!

Thanks again, looking forward to this one.
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Hi Fred,

I just wanted to hop in here and let you know that I appreciate your hard work! :D Things just keep getting better all the time. Now I just need to figure it all out. I’ll post if I find anything that seems odd.

Bill

Question: Not that it matters to me or for that matter, any of my business. I’m just wondering how many of these features are going to be included with the free UVK version?
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Bill, all the new features related to the System repair section are free. The new tags for UVK scripts require a license.

Thank you guys for the feedback.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred

I'm with the other guys, I'm really digging the new features, especially the top list. Thank you again for listening to us being so willing to add our requests!
So far I have not found any bugs in the new version. I have not tried the scripting as I am a more of a GUI man so I really like the top apps.

One question I did have is, on the execute section there is 64 and 32 option. However where you download the app I don't see a way to download 32 or 64 bit although technically you could just run 32 and be done with it.

Jim
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Hi Bill.

The "Run only if xx bit OS" feature is intended for those applications that have a 32 bit installer, but when installed they have one 32 bit exe and one 64 bit exe. This is very common. cCleaner and defraggler are some examples.

This way you can download the application, install it and run the correct exe depending on the OS arch.

For applications that have 2 different downloads, one 32 and the other 64 bits, you should create an independent app for each, and manually check the correct one depending on the OS arch. Anyway, this is less common.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred

Thanks fer the response, that was actually me that asked and not Bill :) I see what you mean by that on the 32/64 and I could just manually download them and use the %InstallSourceDir% for the exe I want :)

Jim
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Shoot! I knew it was you! Guess typing "Hi Bill" became a habit. :D

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

LOL Fred it happens to the best of us :)

Jim
Jim