Software updater

This forum is intended for computer technicians only. Post IT related topics here.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
FredJClaus

Software updater

Post by FredJClaus »

Hey Fred, I use an RMM that has a patch management component, but when it comes to third party programs on a computer, it will only update what's in its app store. Similar to the way that patch my PC will only look for the updates for certain software. When I'm looking for is a tool like the old file hippo update checker, where it will scan your computer, find out what software is installed, and look to see if there's any updates for it. I've tried things like chocolatey or Winget, but they too have a compatible software list.

Do you happen to have or do you know of a tool that will search for software on a computer and then see if there's any updates for it? I'd really like something that can check all software not just a couple hundred that are in their list.
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Software updater

Post by Fred »

Hi Fred. I don't think that such tool exixts. Tech Tool Store has that fontionallity but it also is based on a list. If you want to upgrade just the Windows store apps, I can add that functionality to UVK.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
FredJClaus

Post by FredJClaus »

There are some tools like SysTweak that claim to have this ability, and I remember the old FileHippo did that. But I'm not sure if it's just based on a list and they don't tell you or if it truly scans everything. I would love the ability to update Windows Store apps. That would be nice. Can it be added to the WAU or would it be something else?
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Fred, yes, I can add it to WAU manager
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
FredJClaus

Post by FredJClaus »

That's cool, thanks.
The more I use UVK and it's other tools, the more I'm glad I didn't pay the extremely outrageous fees of Dx7. Thanks for this great product.
FredJClaus

Post by FredJClaus »

Update. I guess I was wrong. No program does them all. Even File hippo had a database of software it could look at. I thought it did all of them because it was able to find all the software on my machine. I didn't realize that it was just a larger database at the time.
Xander

Post by Xander »

Until WAU includes this, for my little residential RMM clients, I drop PatchMyPC in my hidden folder and use its Settings to set it to run as a scheduled task every few days. It doesn't update everything out there but it's got a decent list - most of the stuff my clients use at any rate.
FredJClaus

Post by FredJClaus »

Yah, I use Chocolatey right now, but I've played around with PatchMyPC. I wanted a script that I could just install the program and then just tell it to run weekly. With my RMM, it's eaiser to send a file over to them without needing to take control of the machine, which I would need to do if I wanted to set the program to just run silently automatically.
Xander wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:39 pm Until WAU includes this, for my little residential RMM clients, I drop PatchMyPC in my hidden folder and use its Settings to set it to run as a scheduled task every few days. It doesn't update everything out there but it's got a decent list - most of the stuff my clients use at any rate.