Possible Ideas

Do you know of a feature that UVK should have? Post it here!
Charger440

Possible Ideas

Post by Charger440 »

There have been a few times when programs do NOT show up in Smart Uninstaller, Usually they are junk software anyway but the still don't show up none the less. It would be nice if you could drag and drop uninstallers to Smart Uninstaller so you can do a forced uninstall of them.

In Process manager you have "Kill process and Delete file," "Kill all processes with selected path." However it would be nice to have a "Kill and Delete all files with selected path." Obviously this could be dangerous but confirmation would help and only delete the files that Process manager actually finds.

Scripts, I am not sure if this has been discussed before but it would be really cool if you could run script in-line. The way it works now is I set a script that I want to run and UVK opens another instance and then terminates when it's done while asking I would like to uninstall. Would be be much better if an already running instance would load the script from the file and execute it but leaving the command line to load a script like it is now.

It The newest beta is still saying there is no disk in the drive when running System booster. I think you said you found a issue with that on Vista but I'm pretty sure it's on Win7 as well. Will conform that for sure Monday.
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Possible Ideas

Post by Fred »

Hi Jim.

I fixed a bug in the user enumeration function that could prevent showing uninstall entries for some users. Please check out if all uninstall entries are being displayed now. I will see if I can add drag and drop support anyway.

As for the process manager request, I'm not sure of what you mean by "Kill and Delete all files with selected path". If "Kill process and Delete file" is checked, all files with the selected paths are deleted, unless they are genuine system files.

Maybe you mean "Delete all files in the same directory"? In this case, I could add a context menu item to the list like "Delete parent directory", but I still need to check out some security issues. I've had many times when such feature would come in handy, but what about if the file is in the Windows or system32 folder?

I see what you mean by your scripting request. I will make the log analyzer check if UVK is already running in the "Run scripts" section and if it is, send the text to UVK instead.

Good news: Thanks to this feature request, I just found out the "There's no disk in drive" bug. It is not when searching for junk files, it's when searching for invalid shortcuts! You see, when UVK finds an invalid shortcut, it asks Windows to resolve it (check if the target has been moved, but still exists). If the shortcut's target was in a CD/DVD drive, it causes that issue. I will fix that issue for the next beta release.

Thanks for the requests.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Hi Jim.

Sorry, your last post was showing duplicated, I deleted one of the duplicates, and then both posts were gone.

Anyway, I was thinking of adding an option to add an uninstall entry. That could be done simply by dragging an uninstaller executable to the list, or by pressing a dedicated button in the Smart uninstaller's GUI. What do you think?

Process manager: I thing the confusion here is with the concept of "path". I think you're mentioning "Path" as the parent directory of a process, while I'm referring to the full path of the process executable itself.

For instance, if you choose "Kill process and delete file", and the process path shows C:\Program data\abcde\exefile.exe, then all processes with the C:\Program data\abcde\exefile.exe path will be killed, but other (not selected) processes whose files reside in C:\Program data\abcde are not affected. That is when a feature like "Delete parent directory could come in handy, but it's somewhat risky. I'll see what I can come up with.

As for Tech tool store, I've noted your request. I'll see what I can do when I start working on it again.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred

On my duplicate post, I think we were both policing the forum :) I noticed my post was a duplicate so in order keep the clutter down I deleted one of my post. It seems as though you deleted one and I deleted the other thinking we were both doing the "right" thing. Kinda funny actually :)

I like your idea on the Smart Uninstaller. I think it could be very helpful in some cases.

Yea I think we are on a different thought on "path." What I was referring to was, I have seen times when multiple files show up in the "C:\Program data\abcde" path. You can kill and delete all these by selecting them and choosing that option but it would be nice to know everything in that path including the abcde folder it's self was deleted with one click that way there is nothing in that folder to hide.

Now, thoughts on this. This could be dangerous like that System/sys32 directories for example. You would want to make sure you confirm that obviously but you might also check the path and if it is System, sys32 or any other other important directories you could not even give the option to eliminate the risk in that.
Another thought would be to confirm deleting the actual folder as well. For example C:\Program Files\Crappy App would not make any difference but C:\Windows\System32\Drivers might be a huge problem.

Another thought, You have done TONS of work on UVK and your starting on UAK which so far looks very good. Have you considered setting UVK up for remote use? For instance let it monitor system status and send reports home to you on a schedule Possibly add security to the executable so the GUI wont load without your password.... What do you think about this? Have you thought about this?

Jim
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"