Ultra Adware Killer

Use this forum to place comments about UVK.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
wmmiller

Ultra Adware Killer

Post by wmmiller »

Hi Fred,

I just wanted to comment that Ultra Adware Killer is looking good and the little bit I’ve been able to use it seems to be a fine program. I also like that it can be downloaded as a separate and portable application as well as being able to double click an item and being taken to the items location. That makes it much easier to identify what should be removed and what shouldn’t. Thanks for the nice program and your efforts. :D

Bill
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Ultra Adware Killer

Post by Fred »

Hi Bill. You're welcome.

Last night I found some important bugs, only present in UVK, not in the standalone version of Ultra Adware killer.

if you start a scan, and click the Welcome screen link without stopping the scan UVK crashes.

After finishing the scan, if you try to resize the columns of one of the lists, UVK stops responding and starts using lots of the processor time.

I've been fixing those bugs today. Now they seem to be working fine. I'm gonna upload a new beta later after testing in all platforms.

Thanks for the comment.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
FredJClaus

Post by FredJClaus »

I echo Bill's comments. The addition of UAK to the UVK program is great. I haven't used the stand alone version since I have a portable UVK account, but I might just to see how it works.
Xander

Post by Xander »

Fred, is there a way to whitelist some of the results? For example, I drop a shortcut to my remote site that is: "iexplore.exe http://.... and that gets flagged.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Hi Xander, welcome.

The new beta I released a few days ago has a white list feature. You can even export your personalized white list and import it back in other machines. I'm just about to upload a new beta which will have some new features.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Xander

Post by Xander »

Great timing to ask then! I'm migrating away from years of D7II and starting my UVK learning curve this week. My goal is to get it running from my NAS (so far, so good) and to automate it as much as possible. Only obstacle so far is the run-from-network popup on RebootExec that comes up after a reboot (could it get copied to the local drive before the reboot?).

I'll check out the betas for sure.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Xander, from your description of the issue, you're running UVK from it's installation folder in the NAS.

Sorry but that's not a good solution for UVK. It was not designed to work that way.

Instead, put UVKPortable.exe in your NAS and launch UVK form it in each machine. That will not only solve your "obstacle", but it will also have many other advantages:
  • UVKPortable.exe will be automatically updated in your NAS when a new stable version is available.
    You can use the %InstallSourceDir% environment variable to specify the path of your NAS in any computer you run UVK. %InstallSourceDir% can be used in UVK scripts or Custom apps and will expand to the path where the UVK package that installed UVK is.
    You can drag/drop a UVKSR file over UVKPortable to automatically load it each time you run UVK in that machine.
There are many other advantages which you will learn in time. If you have a license, put it in the same directory as UVKPortable.exe in your NAS. That way it will be automatically activated. If you have a branding license, do the same thing with your logo file.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Hi Xander and welcome,

When I saw your first post I wondered to myself if you were the same Xander from the d7 forums. Now I know. It’s nice to have you here. :)

Bill
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Xander

Post by Xander »

I had started using it that way but the downside was that the Third Party folder gets re-downloaded with every run. But, if I change my own configs over from %thirdparty% to "%installsourcedir%\Third Party" that should remedy all but the default scanners, n'est-ce pas?
Edit: Hmmm...that doesn't seem to work. Re-edit - forgot to save the UVKSR

Bill, yup, it's me. With forum support for D7II all but gone right now, I think it only wise to start looking into some valid alternatives and UVK is the front runner ahead of TechWARU.
Last edited by Xander on Fri May 29, 2015 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

That is correct Xander.

Fred