Just A Thought

Do you know of a feature that UVK should have? Post it here!
MCD IT

Just A Thought

Post by MCD IT »

Since UVK is such a cool project I have been trying to go out of my way to think of improvements for you, one thing I have pondered is a possible improvement to the pop up for the currently running fixes.

On a few occasions I have been caught where I have forgotten to select all of the things I wanted to the first time around, or while running the tasks that I had set, I had noticed other problems that would need to be corrected. Other times I set the tool to run a lot of programs and forgot to schedule it to shut down, having to leave the computer running for longer than it needs to while I have had to sneak out. This is user error, of course, but a pretty cool feature might be the ability to modify the schedule while other fixes are currently running. Or perhaps, even "Shut Down on Completion / Sleep on Completion" buttons on the same little pop up box. While we're going nuts, an option for both cancelling fixes (killing the process) and "Stop Monitoring" might come in handy, as I understand that stop monitoring button can be used on the built in fixes but that the third party apps can only be cancelled.

It's not particularly major, but it could make the automated section even more slick, and probably a fair improvement over D7 too.

Keep up the good work as always!

Pax,

Darran.
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Just A Thought

Post by Fred »

Hi Darran.

Those are great ideas. They have crossed my mind for a few times. The problem is it takes a lot of code changes to accomplish the desired effect, and I'm afraid it will create some bugs.

You see, most of the fixes have their own functions, which are called by the function that creates the popup. The variables corresponding to those new controls are not available from the fixes´ functions.

Another point is "Continue repair after reboot" feature. UVK creates a UVKSR file before start running the selected fixes/apps. Currently this is only done once, because creating the UVKSR file is lengthy. It can take one second or more. That is why it is useless to change the selection while the fixes are being executed.

Anyway, I guess it's about time I make some changes to the code in order to make it more dynamic.

I'll give it a shot after I finish the project I'm working on.

As for the shutdown/sleep on completion options, the shutdown and restart are already there. I can add an option to sleep after completion.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
MCD IT

Post by MCD IT »

Very good. I thought it would be a big ask! Just something to think ponder.

With the shutdown/sleep I was really thinking of having them as buttons to hit while the other processes are running. I forget to hit these sometimes, my fault, really.
MCD IT

Post by MCD IT »

Mighty fine job as always Fred! Looks great. Looking forward to taking the new adware tool for a spin as well.

I'm not sure if it is significant, but I happened to notice that the beta before this one (v6.9.1.0) came up under hitmanpro as a threat. Just to mention!

EDIT: Sorry, scrap that. I deploy a shortcut to the desktop in the form of a .exe. It was this that was flagged, it has the same name and logo as I have set for UVK so that's what threw me off!
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Thanks Darran.

UVK is always detected by some AV's until they update their virus signatures. That's because it's created by AutoIt. The code section of all files compiled by autoIt is the same, and that makes it very hard for AV software to whitelist the good programs while keep detecting the bad ones.

The AVG guys were nice enough to whitelist my digital signature. Avast sometimes detects UVK for one day, then they whitelist it in the next UPS.

That's why I would like to leave AutoIt and code everything in C++. But it's not easy. Too much code to convert.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
MCD IT

Post by MCD IT »

Oh well so. At least you don't need to worry about this one! (edit)
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Darran

I like your ideas too. It has been my experience that if Fred can implement them, he will. In the notes for the new beta it almost kinda seems like he has.

I had a couple things I was gonna ask about as well but I will have to gather my thoughts before I do. They had to do with the process manager I know that....

As far as D7 goes, well, Fred does have a point. A reputation is an important thing. While D7 does have some good points, I do think UVK is over all better than D7 and as far as the Author goes, well, there's just no comparison in my opinion between him and Fred. Just based on that info alone, I'll do it all by hand the old way before I ever touch a "D" product again.

Thank you Fred for listening to us and always willing to help when asked, it is very much appreciated.

Jim
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"