Thoughts on new features....and maybe a bug

Do you know of a feature that UVK should have? Post it here!
Charger440

Thoughts on new features....and maybe a bug

Post by Charger440 »

Fred

If UVK already does any of these and I have not noticed then don't beat me up too bad :) *kidding*

Uninstaller
If would be really good if the uninstaller had drag and drop support. For instance I have found a few apps (questionable ones) that do not show up in add/remove or UVK's uninstaller. However they do have uninstallers in the directories. It would be cool to drop them in the uninstaller and automatically do a forced uninstall.

SSDs
Since SSDs are becoming more common it would be cool if UVK had SSD optimizer section so we didn't have to do all these steps manually.

Power
I know we discussed it, I did it, then you did it to show me an easier way but the power options would still be a great addition to UVK.

Possible bug
In the system booster, I have had it several times tell me there is not disk in the drive when it gets down to junk files. Sometimes it only a couple times in a row other times I have to respond to the dialog box several times(in one case upwards of 20 times) before it finally just does it's thing. This issue is with the last stable version. I really need to start using the beta version more and quit being a knuckle head :)

Jim
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Thoughts on new features....and maybe a bug

Post by Fred »

Hi Jim.

I'll see what I can come up with regarding your requests. Right now I'm too busy to start working on them.

As for the System booster bug, I checked out the code, and can't seem to find anything out of the place. It would be nice if I could have a screenshot of the error's message box.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred

As soon as it happens again I will get a screen shot and see what other info might be relevant to the issue.

Jim
Jim

wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

I’ve had this happen once before but didn’t think anything of it because it was on a Windows Vista computer. Nothing with Vista surprises me. It was looking for something in drive D which was the DVD drive.

Bill
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Brink

Post by Brink »

+1 on having this happen to me in windows vista. I thought nothing of it either for the same reason. Vista is crap IMHO. Never seen it in 7 or 8 though.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Thanks guys.

That helps a lot. You see, I don't like to rely on environment variables. So I define a global constant in the beginning of UVK's code like this:

Code: Select all

Global Const $SystemDrive = StringLeft(@WindowsDir,2)
So if @WindowsDir is C:\Windows, $SystemDrive is C:

As it turns out, it seems to be an AutoIt bug in some computers, where @WindowsDir is returning a path in the DVD drive instead (probably the drive Windows was installed from). No wonder I couldn't find any error in my code.

Now what I don't know is whether AutoIt gets the @WindowsDir path using SHGetFolderPath(), or GetWindowsDirectory(), or if it just expands the %SystemRoot% or %WinDir% environment variable.

If you guys don't mind helping out with this issue, when you see it happen again, please run the UVK script below, and post a screenshot with the message box that is displayed.

Code: Select all

<AutoItScript>
$rn2 = @CRLF&@CRLF
$msg = '@WindowsDir = '&@WindowsDir&$rn2&'@SystemDir = '&@SystemDir&$rn2

$aCall = DllCall('Kernel32.dll', 'UINT','GetWindowsDirectoryW', 'wstr','', 'UINT',260)
If Not @error Then $msg &= 'GetWindowsDirectory() = '&$aCall[1]&$rn2

$aCall = DllCall('Kernel32.dll', 'UINT','GetSystemWindowsDirectoryW', 'wstr','', 'UINT',260)
If Not @error Then $msg &= 'GetSystemWindowsDirectory() = '&$aCall[1]&$rn2

$aCall = DllCall('Kernel32.dll', 'UINT','GetSystemDirectoryW', 'wstr','', 'UINT',260)
If Not @error Then $msg &= 'GetSystemDirectory() = '&$aCall[1]&$rn2

$aCall = DllCall('Shell32.dll', 'LONG','SHGetFolderPathW', 'HWND',0, _
'int', 36, 'HANDLE',0, 'DWORD',0, 'wstr','')
If Not @error Then $msg &= 'SHGetFolderPath(CSIDL_WINDOWS) = '&$aCall[5]&$rn2

$aCall = DllCall('Shell32.dll', 'LONG','SHGetFolderPathW', 'HWND',0, _
'int', 37, 'HANDLE',0, 'DWORD',0, 'wstr','')
If Not @error Then $msg &= 'SHGetFolderPath(CSIDL_SYSTEM) = '&$aCall[5]&$rn2

$msg &= '%WinDir% = '&EnvGet('WinDir')&$rn2
$msg &= '%SystemRoot% = '&EnvGet('SystemRoot')&$rn2
$msg &= '%SystemDrive% = '&EnvGet('SystemDrive')

MsgBox(0,'System paths',$msg)
System paths.uvk
(1.17 KiB) Downloaded 192 times
That will help me not only determine where the bug is, but also choose the best function to retrieve the paths.

Thanks.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

I added on more call to the script, this time to GetSystemWindowsDirectory().

I think that is the correct function to call.

Please use the new script instead.

Thanks

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred

Will do :)

Jim
Jim