Request: Set power profile to an always on state.

Do you know of a feature that UVK should have? Post it here!
Brink

Request: Set power profile to an always on state.

Post by Brink »

Fred,
I can't sing enough praises about how awesome your program is. But historically of the biggest pains in my behind when repairing a pc has been that I have left the office at night and left some clients pc turned on and running antivirus scans. I'm expecting that in the morning when I return, the scan will be complete and I can move on to the next step. When I do return, I discover that power management has put the PC to sleep early on in the night and I can't move on but have to pickup where I left off yesterday. I think it would be great if there were a way, possibly in the repair section, to have UVK setup a temporary power profile that keeps the computer awake so that av scans can be completed unattended. It would also be great if the previous power management profile could be restored at the end of the cleanup process.

So that's my two cents. Thanks for reading.
wmmiller

Re: Request: Set power profile to an always on state.

Post by wmmiller »

Hi Brink,

If UVK is running it will solve your troubles. I think this is what you’re saying. See this thread.

Bill

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=843
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Brink

Post by Brink »

:shock: I guess I just never occured to me to leave the UVK running while using other AV scanners (like avast, AVG, avira or whatever else that the client likes, already has installed and uses). This would generally be the last step in a cleanup. It's like egg on the face when you clean one up, then the client gets it back to run his preferred scanner and it finds something. So I always run whatever they already have installed at the end to keep that from happening. It's kinda like egg on the face when you request that a feature be included in a program, and the feature is already there too. LOL

Merry Christmas all.

Brink
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

If you don't want to leave UVK running while the scans are performed, you can use the one of the UVK scripts posted in this topic:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=888
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Brink,

I get the egg on face going on a regular basis. Just ask Fred. :lol: Think nothing of it.

Thanks for pointing that out Fred, I forgot all about that.

Bill
Brink

Post by Brink »

I saw the new feature in the 7.0.0.4 BETA where you added the reset power profiles after cleanup.

Would it be possible for you add the feature for set power profiles to always on?
Leaving UVK on does keep the machine on and prevents sleeping. That does not help me however during a windows update.

BTW Thanks for pointing out the scripts on viewtopic.php?f=6&t=888.

It would be so much more convenient though if it were in the "Before Repair Actions" section of uvk and then have the "Reset power profile" item that is in the "Post Repair Actions" section actually restore the customers preference that it was already set when the customer dropped the machine off to us.

Thanks for considering.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Hi Brink.

Take a good look at the fixes list again.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Brink

Post by Brink »

Awesome. That slipped right by me.

Man, is this the egg on the face thread or what? LOL

Fred I can't praise you enough. Many thanks for that.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

No egg on face. That kind of thing happens to me all the time. I'm sure you've heard that saying "The best place to hide something is right under the people's nose". :)

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

LOL This thread made me laugh! Brink I have done the same thing, just ask Fred :) UVK offers SO MANY options it's easy to miss them. I got UVK about 6 - 8 months ago and it has a bunch more stuff in it now than it did then. If you are looking for something and don't see it, request it. If it is there Fred will let you know it's there and if it's not there it's a good chance he will add it :)

Jim
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

My wife tells me all the time that I need to look beyond the end of my nose. :lol:

Bill
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

That's too funny Bill :)

Jim
Jim

Brink

Post by Brink »

@Jim This has certainly been a comical thread. I'm with you though about Fred. I've been using UVK since about mid 2013 myself and Fred had shown nothing but excellence in solving our issues. BTW Your signature is inspiring.

@Bill I've got a long nose thats hard to see past the end of as well. :)

@Fred Many thanks for all that you do for every one of us.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

You guys are nice. I'm very proud of this forum because of members like you. Not really because of the flattering, but because the sympathy of most members.

I've never been much of a forum poster, but I liked to post in some forums like technibble and Autoit forums. Except for the fact that some members of those communities were rude, and not nice at all, always criticizing and trying to show off. Glad that doesn't happen here.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Me too Fred. I by no means know everything but I like to help out even the "dumbest" of questions. Everyone starts out somewhere and something simple to me may not be to them. I still remember when I asked the "Simple" questions. In this forum people just answer questions and don't try to play the who is smarter than who game :) In the well known forums you can quickly get your head bit off for asking a question. They just can't figure out why you wouldn't already know that.

Jim
Jim