Update Improvement - Portable Update vs Installed Update

Do you know of a feature that UVK should have? Post it here!
kphilo

Update Improvement - Portable Update vs Installed Update

Post by kphilo »

Good Morning!

Thanks for the software! I was about to start something similar for myself, when I stumbled upon your program. Well worth every cent!

SUGGESTION:

I like that UVK will offer to download the updated version. I'm only in and out as needed and it's nice to know that the copy will be current when I start working. At least as of a couple / three weeks ago (UVK ver 6.7.0.0 - my last use) the update installed to the hard drive without a hitch. Only I was using the portable config! Would it be possible to check if the portable version is being used (a flag somewhere?) and do a "portable" update if it is?

Even more than I like the convenience of not having to uninstall the app, I dread what could happen if some of my clients decided to "experiment" on a copy I failed to remove!

For that matter: When the portable version asks if it should be removed and I say "Yes", it would be nice if it checked to see if I've installed other AV tools (ie M'Bytes) and ask if they should be removed as well. I can foresee problems with that part, such as needing to cross check an "Installed Flag" vs install times to ensure a client's copy isn't accidently uninstalled. However ... "Yeah go ahead - I'm sure you can get through there - it's not my truck!"

Thanks again for a very useful tool.
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Update Improvement - Portable Update vs Installed Update

Post by Fred »

Hi kphilo, welcome.

I know the portable version was not updating correctly. That has been fixed in the latest beta. Now portable versions update using the portable package and will update the portable package itself.

As for removing third party apps on uninstall, that feature has been requested before, but I'm afraid it is impossible to implement. You see, the only third party built in apps that need to be uninstalled are MBAM and SAS. All others are fully portable and are automatically removed when you uninstall UVK. The problem is that MBAM and SAS need to reboot the computer in order to remove any malware found. If I uninstall them before rebooting the malware is not removed properly.

Thanks for the heads up.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
kphilo

Re: Update Improvement - Portable Update vs Installed Update

Post by kphilo »

Good Morning, Fred!

Thanks for the info. I will make sure to get the current beta and fix my update issue. I probably should have done that before I even started on the problem system. I know better than to just grab what I've got and think "Oh, it's updating on its own, I don't need to worry." Sounds like you've fixed it so I won't have to worry!

As for the M'bytes/SAS uninstall: I see your point! I guess my perspective was on my "normal" approach - or should I say "exit strategy". After everything is fixed to my satisfaction, I typically reboot 2 - 3 times, just to make sure the client won't see something popup that I could have otherwise caught. It isn't until I've been through the reboots that I uninstall UVK & the other tools. I've been meaning to just include a file that I can call that will do the uninstalls for me - seems I need to get myself up out of the shade and finish up my own work!

Thanks again for the product. I continue to learn more about it with every use. I'm looking forward to become "proficient". And thanks for your active participation here. I know it was a major influence to even evaluate "still another tool".

KP