View host file shortcut

Do you know of a feature that UVK should have? Post it here!
wmmiller

View host file shortcut

Post by wmmiller »

Hi Fred,

Can we get a shortcut to view the host file in the IT/Geek tools and tweaks section?

Bill
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
zbmowrey

Re: View host file shortcut

Post by zbmowrey »

Bill,

While more shortcuts are always awesome, the entire hosts file is included in the autoruns section.

Z
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Hi Bill. As zbmowrey said, all blocked/redirected domains in the hosts file are shown in the Autorun manager.

You can delete each entry separately in that section, or you can just reset the contents of the hosts file, in the system repair section.

Additionally you can create a custom app that opens the hosts file with notepad, or the program you want.

The command to open the hosts file with notepad is:
%SystemDir%\Notepad.exe %SystemDir%\drivers\etc\hosts

If you want more advanced options, you can use third party tools, such as Host Mechanic.

Download url: http://media.askvg.com/files/Host-Mechanic.zip
Download type: Direct download
Download file %ThirdParty%\Host-Mechanic.zip
Checked: If the downloaded file is a zip file, extract it to a same named folder
Command 1: %ThirdParty%\Host-Mechanic\Host Mechanic\Host Mechanic.exe

The tool is very simple, but everything in the hosts file is simple. If I add a button to view the hosts file, I'll probably make something similar to this tool, instead of opening the hosts file with notepad. I'll play with it and see what I can come up with.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Thanks guys. :) Actually as zbmowrey says, it is very easy to just check the autoruns section. I’ve never messed with Host Mechanic, but will check it.

Bill
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Now that it’s been brought up. I decided to check out MVPS as was brought up in zbmowrey’s post the other day. With such a long host file in the autoruns section, it might be a nice idea to make that section collapsible so one only need to scroll though if needed.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

I thought about making the groups collapsible in the Autorun manager and the service manager a long time ago.

The problem is that when a user clicks the group header, all the items in the group are automatically selected, regardless of whether the group is collapsed or not.

I got scared a user could accidentally select and delete all items in a group because of that, so I didn't do it.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Yes, deleting everything would be very bad. Better not do it then. Thanks for taking a look.

Bill
zbmowrey

Post by zbmowrey »

Bill, I've actually encountered that very issue with the hosts file.

My solution is simply to grab the scroll bar on the right side and drag until I'm at the bottom. It is an extra step, but doesn't involve much extra time, as compared to wheel-scrolling for an age.
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Thanks Z. You are correct sir. That does make things easier.