Load settings

Do you know of a feature that UVK should have? Post it here!
Charger440

Load settings

Post by Charger440 »

Fred

If I aint mistaken you can get uvk to load a setting file by double clicking it after the initial and it "installs" or by making a .bat with the command line.
However, I like those options because they would be useful at times but I would like the ability to have UVK load the last setting file each time it starts.
Preferable even the first time it's ran as I don't tend to deviate much from a set of options once I have them the way I like them although there are times when a
different set comes in handy.

Jim
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Load settings

Post by Fred »

OK, Jim. I'll have to figure out the best way to do that, but I'll give it a shot.

I think the best way is to add a check box in the Options section like "Auto load the last uvksr file". What do you say?

This way, each time you go to the System repair section the last file would be loaded, if there is no file to load by command line.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred

I think I think that would work just fine. The only issue I can see is determining that last file loaded on the initial run when it "installs." Other than that I would think it should be fairly to add that option that way the people that don't want to autoload wouldn't have too.

Jim
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Determining the last file loaded is quite easy. One REG_SZ registry value for the last file, plus a REG_DWORD value to determine whether to load or not. If the REG_DWORD value is 1 and the REG_SZ file exists it is loaded. Otherwise it is not.

How's that for a simple approach?
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

That would work great for a repeat load but I mean the very first load on a particular computer. On that first load there wouldn't be an reg values yet and therefore it would be harder for UVK to determine which file it should load.

Jim
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Well, the very first load, you can drop the UVKSR file over UVKPortable. It shouldn't be harder than a double click.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

OK, so dropping uvksr file at beginning loads the file but after the first run it deletes the file?

OK I guess that could work :)

Jim
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Not sure of what you mean by "deletes the file". UVK does not delete any UVKSR files. It simply does not load it the next time you come back to the system repair section. For now... The next version will, if the option is set in the Options section.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Seems like we had that talk before about dropping files on UVK after it is installed and it deletes the file. I know we did cause I kept deleting my settings instead of dbl clicking them like I should have.

Jim
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Just tried it out and it loaded the uvksr file fine, and didn't delete it. Have you tried it out? Just make a quick copy of the file before, just in case...

Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

I think you're talking about dropping the uvksr file over the UVK's desktop icon. That will make UVK delete the UVKSR file, and doesn't make sense because if UVK is already installed you can open the UVKSR files by double click.

Bu I'm talking about dropping the UVKSR file over UVKPortable.exe or UVKPortable.com. That install UVK and loads the UVKSR file fine.

Fred