Major wishlist

Do you know of a feature that UVK should have? Post it here!
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Major wishlist

Post by Fred »

Hi Vicelord.

Weird. It should remember which apps were checked. Are you sure they weren't already checked before the reboot?

MSI files can not be executed directly because they are not executable files. To install an msi package, use the following command:

Code: Select all

%SystemDir%\msiexec.exe /i "PackageName.msi"
You can append switches for unattended installations:
/quiet : Quiet mode, no user interaction
/passive : Unattended mode - progress bar only
/norestart : Do not restart after the installation is complete
/promptrestart : Prompts the user for restart if necessary
/forcerestart : Always restart the computer after installation

Example:

Code: Select all

%SystemDir%\msiexec.exe /i "%ThirdParty%\PackageName.msi" /passive /norestart
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Vicelord,

I confirmed UVK is selecting all the third party apps that were saved with the "Checked by default" flag after reboot.

I will fix this issue and release a new beta today.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Never mind :)
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Hi guys. The selecting all third party apps after reboot bug is fixed in the new beta.

Fred
Vicelord

Post by Vicelord »

awesome! just wanted to thank you again for your effort and this amazing program. I use it constantly! got premium a while ago !
zbmowrey

Post by zbmowrey »

Hey, Jim....

There's a way to get (some) cleanup done before you run the apps to get rid of malware/etc.

Create a third-party app called C-Cleaner.

Point it to: http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/downlo ... wnloadfile

Download file: %ThirdParty%\ccslim.exe

Command 1: %ThirdParty%\ccslim.exe /S
(this does a silent install of cc-slim, which doesn't include bundleware)

Command 2: C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner64.exe /AUTO
(automatic cleaning routine begins - use the 64-bit radial button)

Command 3: C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe /AUTO
(same thing, except 32-bit)

Now, make this your top third party program.
Add other third-party programs as desired - as discussed earlier in the thread, you can actually add the built-in apps to your third party list by referring to them by name, and the automation features will still work. In this manner, you use CCleaner to kill the junk files first, and then can run rkill, tdss, mbam, etc, in the order you like.

If that doesn't appeal, look at the scripting possibilities. Everything in the system repair section (and beyond) is a scripting option.

My only question for Fred on this one is... is there a way to call the apps in a Script that would keep the automation routines in place?

What a user could do is set the script up to run individual fixes (rather than groups) in any order he or she chose, while calling on UVK to run the automatic download/install/run routines for the built-ins.

I'm thinking <run_malwarebytes> or something that would just act as if the checkbox were ticked.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

zbmowrey I actually have CCleaner as a custom app already. As far as scripting all the items in the app so that I can rearrange the order, I have an aversion to reinventing the wheel. I realize that you could do that but they are already in the list. To me it would make much more sense to execute them in the order you select them from the list they are already in.

Jim
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Brink

Post by Brink »

Fred wrote:I'm working side by side on UVK and a new technician tool. That's gonna be... Surprise!
So do we get any clues for Christmas? LOL. I'm intrigued.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Hi Brink.

Yeah I have a beta version almost ready. I'll make it available for testing before Christmas.

I've been deleting spammer users from the forum, and I just realized I may have deleted this topic's starter, Vicelord. So, Vicelord, I apologize, and if you ever read this post, please create your forum user again. Sorry.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

I know what you’re saying Fred. the spammers were super busy the other day too. It was one right after the other. :evil:
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Yeah, Bill, I'm using a question/answer spambot registration countermeasure. I guess one of them found the answer and sent it to the others.

Had to change the Q/A for the registrations to stop, and then I deleted more than 100 users.

Most of them came from Russia and Pakistan, So I started deleting all the users whose email addresses ended up in .ru, or the IP WHOIS indicated they were from Russia or Pakistan.

Not sure if Vicelord was one of them, but it seems it's got deleted it in the process.

Fred
FredJClaus

Post by FredJClaus »

Fred,

this is an old post again I know but let me ask you this. I see in one of the answers it pointed to "CCleaner", which is a program I have used for a couple years now. Have these features been intigrated into UVK since then or are there still things that CCleaner does that UVK can't do?
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

cCleaner and UVK are totally different applications.

cCleaner is an advanced maintenance tool. I don't argue it is a very good tool, probably the best one of its kind. It can cleanup temp files of specific applications, including all browsers and MS Office products.

UVK is a general repair, maintenance, and optimization tool. It has less maintenance features than cCleaner, but also has many features that cCleaner has not.

Personally I rarely use cCleaner. Usually my maintenance actions always include deleting the temporary files, the event logs, error report folders and cleanup the registry.

I only delete the browsers cache if the pc is infected or has internet related issues. The browsers use the local cache to browse the internet faster, deleting the cache will make each page load slower once.

I only delete the browsing history if the user asks me to. Like myself, may users often use the browsing history to quickly find pages previously visited, and they may not be happy that I delete it. I wouldn't be.

I only delete junk files if the HDD is lacking space. Sometimes, the so called junk files may be used by some applications, and they may stop working properly if we delete them. If the HDD has plenty of free space, there's no need to mess up with what is working fine, or we may end up braking it.

I only delete system restore points if the HDD is lacking space, or the pc is infected. Restore points are automatically deleted by the system when the System restore is using the assigned max HDD space, and they may be useful in the future.

Before deleting temp files, I ensure no program is currently being installed, and close all open programs. The "Kill all non system processes" fix is a good tool for the effect.

When the hard drive is full and the user doesn't know what can be deleted I usually delete temp files, junk files, error reports, event logs, restore points, cleanup and defrag the registry, uninstall unneeded programs, and additionally run cCleaner.

Fred
FredJClaus

Post by FredJClaus »

Thanks for that information Fred