Windows Defender Update KB2267602

Use this forum to discuss about anything you want, post announcements and informational topics.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
wmmiller

Windows Defender Update KB2267602

Post by wmmiller »

System: Windows 8.1 Professional x64 with Media Center

Is anyone else finding that they need to reinstall this (Windows Defender Update KB2267602) update over and over? I bet I’ve installed this same update twenty times. :roll: I have not done a windows update repair as of yet. Is cleaning up the temp files etc. causing this?

Fred,
Do you know where this file is updated to and what I may be doing to mess it up? It only comes back after running some UVK cleanup options. I have not tried to pin down what it is that I’m doing to cause this though.

Bill
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
wmmiller

Re: Windows Defender Update KB2267602

Post by wmmiller »

Update, Sort of: I ran my regular cleanup routine several times with reboots and shut downs in between. I can't reproduce this. This is a bit weird. I must do something that I’m not thinking of that makes this happen. Twilight zone? :?
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Hi Bill. You're not alone. The offline updater fixed the issue for the poster of that topic. You can give it a try.

If the update succeeds, the next time it comes out, just hide it out, so it won't show up again (rght-click -> Hide update).

If it does not succeed, then the UVK immunization may be preventing it from installing. I updated the recommended areas in the version 6.6.1. Use only those areas.

Cleaning the temp files can only be causing the issue if you do it while the update is installing, or if you do it after the update was installed and before the computer was rebooted.

Keep me posted.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Hi Fred,
The update succeeds every time. I sat here for a long time last night trying to reproduce the issue without luck. I shut down the computer and went to bed and when I started the computer this morning it says the update is available again.

I’ll try the offline updater and see what happens. It shows up as installed many times on the system info report.

Bill
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

I don’t know. I ran the offline updater. It gives no indication that it is or has done anything. After running it windows update still show that that update needs to be installed. It’s not really a huge issue but I do find it annoying and stuff like that bugs me. I’m weird that way. ;)
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

There's nothing weird about that. Sometimes it takes me a long time to figure out an issue. I usually manage to fix it up, but sometimes it takes many trial and error operations.

Care to install the Windows latest virus definitions from this link? http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=121721&arch=x64

Let me know if it helped.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Hi Fred,
I installed the Windows latest virus definitions you suggested. I’ll see what happens after a few system reboots. :)
Bill
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

That update still shows up like a turd when least expected. :lol: I guess window isn’t as smart as it thinks it is.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

I found this topic that says cCleaner can cause that issue:
http://www.eightforums.com/windows-upda ... fails.html

Do you use ccleaner with CCEnhancer in your cleanups?

Note: If you want to try the procedure in the topic, you probably won't be able to disable the Windows defender service while it is activated. Try to disable Windows defender in its interface first, reboot, and then you'll be able to disable the service.

Let me know if it helped.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Thanks Fred,
I have used CCleaner in the past but not with CCEnhancer. I did go ahead and try this solution. We will see in time if it worked. I thought it was solved before only to have it show up again. Thanks for looking it. :)
Bill