Windows 8/8.1 media center registration key

Do you know of a feature that UVK should have? Post it here!
wmmiller

Windows 8/8.1 media center registration key

Post by wmmiller »

Hi Fred,
Is there a way to make the system info report show Windows 8/8.1 media center registration key if it exists? When I redid this computer with that clone a last week, I couldn’t remember where I had that key and had to search like mad to find it because it had not been installed at the time that clone was made.

Bill
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Windows 8/8.1 media center registration key

Post by Fred »

It does not show the Windows product key? That's weird.
There's a good tool to read the product keys from nirsoft: ProduKey.
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

I'll have to Windows 8.1 media center in virtual machine to try that out. Normally it should work.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Hi Fred,
Hold on there. Yes, it does show the OS product key. But, you have to buy Media Center Pack separately from windows 8. However, I didn’t notice until you asked and I just looked. When you buy Media Center Pack it gives you a product key that when installed, Changes the OS key to that key and it is no longer the original product that was used to install Windows. :o

Bill

Edit: I forgot to say that I did use Nirsoft with the same results. I bet my Windows 8 Media wouldn’t let me reinstall Windows with that new key that Media Center Pack changes it to. I see that as becoming a problem in the future when a customer’s hard drive fails and one needs to reinstall windows.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

There are two values that contain the Windows product key.
They are both in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DefaultProductKey.

One is the DigitalProductId, the other one is the DigitalProductId4.

Maybe one contains the original OS key, the other one the media center key?

Too bad I don't have media center to try that out. Do you still have autoit installed? I could send you a script for you to test.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Hi Fred,
I haven’t installed AutoIt since I redid this computer, but intended to do so. I need to take off this afternoon for a while and then I’m going on a one day road trip tomorrow. If you would like to whip up a script, I will run it just as soon as I have the chance. Thanks! :D

Bill
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

OK, I'll prepare a testing script tomorrow first thing in the morning and send it to you.

Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Hi Bill. Sorry for the delay.

Here's your testing AutoIt script.
WinProdKeys.zip
(783 Bytes) Downloaded 203 times

Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Also check this one. This one should give you the default Windows product key (installed at Windows setup), and the current product key.
WinProdKeys.zip
(827 Bytes) Downloaded 210 times

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Hi Fred,
That script worked fine. But, the default product key does not match the key I used for initial install. It’s the only Windows 8 key I have so I’m pretty sure I’m not mixed up. Do you suppose that the Key changes when Windows 8 is upgraded to Windows 8.1?
I think I have a clone of Windows 8 without the windows 8.1 update. I could verify original key by installing that clone. I won’t have time for a few days to do that though.
Bill
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Hi Bill.

Please try this new script and check out if any of the three keys is your windows key.
WinProdKeys.zip
(844 Bytes) Downloaded 211 times
Thanks.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Nope. :( The current product key: and the current product key4: are the same two keys.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Well, I starting to believe that installing the Media center pack really replaces the previous product keys.

Why are you so concerned? Have you lost your Windows key? Isn't it printed in the back of the laptop?

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Why are you so concerned? I’m going to have this problem with a customer’s computer some day and I had noticed it was different on my own computer.

Have you lost your Windows key? Nope, I know the key. That’s how I know it doesn’t match up.

Isn't it printed in the back of the laptop? No its not. At least not on this computer. It’s a retail key. This particular computer used to have only Windows 7 Professional.

This makes me think that it’s important to try to get the Windows 8/8.1 key before Media Center happens to get installed. Although, if it’s a customer’s computer and they don’t have their key, I think that may be too bad for them. I was just hoping it was hidden away some place in the registry. I guess not though. :roll:
Bill

As always, your efforts are much appreciated! :D
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

I'm pretty sure it is hidden somewhere in the registry. Otherwise, how could Windows restore the previous key if you remove the Media center pack? Or maybe it doesn't restore it at all...

The only way is to search for a registry key related to the Media center. My Windows 7 has Media center embedded, and I have a key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center

But it doesn't have any value related to the registration. Don't know if it's because the Media center is part of Windows. You could check out yours.

Fred