Windows Update Repair

Do you know of a feature that UVK should have? Post it here!
zbmowrey

Windows Update Repair

Post by zbmowrey »

I know there's a checkbox in UVK for repair update, but my questions...

(a) what does that actually do? (ie, is it just the rename SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folders?)

and...

(b) does it perform any Win-8/8.1 specific fixes? (sc.exe security fixes, dll registration, powershell re-registration, DISM scans, etc)?

In the meantime, I've written my own pretty thorough batch file to handle most of it, but knowing what the checkbox does precisely might help inform my efforts in the future.
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Windows Update Repair

Post by Fred »

ZB, here's what it does:

Enable Windows update in the registry (HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU)

Set the wuauserv service start type to Automatic.

Stop the bits and wuauserv services.

Register a bunch of dlls: atl.dll, urlmon.dll, mshtml.dll, shdocvw.dll, browseui.dll, jscript.dll, vbscript.dll, scrrun.dll, msxml.dll, msxml3.dll, msxml6.dll, actxprxy.dll, softpub.dll, wintrust.dll, dssenh.dll, rsaenh.dll, gpkcsp.dll, sccbase.dll, slbcsp.dll, cryptdlg.dll, oleaut32.dll, ole32.dll, shell32.dll, initpki.dll, wuapi.dll, wuaueng.dll, wuaueng1.dll, wucltui.dll, wups.dll, wups2.dll, wuweb.dll, qmgr.dll, qmgrprxy.dll, wucltux.dll, muweb.dll, wuwebv.dll.

Run a few commands:
netsh reset winsock
proxycfg.exe -d
bitsadmin.exe /reset /allusers

Delete the following folders:
%Windir%\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore
%Windir%\SoftwareDistribution\Download

Start the wuauserv and bits services.

This is a very old fix I wrote before Windows 8 was even born, and I haven't improved it ever since.

I'll add some of the features from your script.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred