Feature: Portable > Save Settings

Do you know of a feature that UVK should have? Post it here!
zbmowrey

Feature: Portable > Save Settings

Post by zbmowrey »

I'd love a "create config file" button in the portable version, as I use it for remote support and otherwise LOVE this app.

The best way I can think to describe the vision:

Customer complains that he's seeing popups and his browser is acting weird. I send "UVK Malware Quick.zip" to his PC, unzip and drop a folder on the desktop. I run UVK Portable and it opens with all my third party apps and scripts imported, I click "Start Scans" and it runs, no box-checking or importing required on my end.

The process as I imagine it:

1. I load UVK Portable and import any scripts or third party apps I'd like to use;
2. I check all boxes I want checked, configuring the app to run the way I'd like;
3. I click "create config file" and the program generates a special script ("config.ini", or whatever) in the root folder;
4. On load, UVK Portable looks for that special file;
5. If it doesn't find it, we get the usual interface with nothing checked;
6. If it is found, UVK imports the scripts, third party apps, and settings mentioned in config.ini and is ready to run.

Why would I love this?

It would let me store multiple copies of the app with various configurations. As it is now, I keep one ZIP file with a folder in it, and send it to the remote PC. I unzip and run the portable, then manually import scripts and check boxes. Then I run the scans and babysit while managing other remote sessions. The initial startup process takes around 30-45 seconds if I'm quick - this doesn't seem like a lot, but when you're trying to resolve problems for 5-6 customers simultaneously, that half a minute each can really add up.

I'd like to have "UVK Malware Quick.zip", "UVK Malware Deep.zip", "UVK Complete Net Reset.zip", "UVK Optimizer.zip", "UVK x64 Hitman.zip", and so on, saved on my PC and ready for rapid deployment.

Is this something that is possible? Am I missing something on the scripting side that might make this doable already?
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Feature: Portable > Save Settings

Post by Fred »

Hi zbmowrey, welcome.

As I understood, you want a quick way to run a script or load a System repair settings file (uvksr).

Maybe you can try these suggestions:

To quickly run UVK and load a uvksr, just drop it over UVKPortable.exe.

Take a look at the command line reference here:
http://www.carifred.com/uvk/help/cmdswitches.php

Maybe you can achieve what you need with a simple batch.
You can start a scan with no UI with a simple command like:

Code: Select all

UVKPortable.exe -CreateLog "%UserProfile%\Desktop\UVKLog.txt"  -Auto
Or you can run a UVK script with one command too, like:

Code: Select all

UVKPortable.exe -ReadFile "%UserProfile%\Desktop\Hitman.uvk" -Auto
Is that what you are looking for?
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
zbmowrey

Post by zbmowrey »

That will certainly get me moving in the right direction. Thank you for the feedback!

It would be nice if UVK Portable looked for a .uvksr file with a certain name and auto-loaded, but your suggestion will at least save me a few steps.

Thanks again....
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

You're welcome. In fact, I just realized that dropping a uvksr file over UVKPortable will not load the uvksr file.

I just added that feature to the portable versions. I'll release a new beta soon.

I think that will be better than loading a file with a specific name. This way you can automatically load the file you want, by simply dropping it over UVKPortable. Doesn't take longer than double-clicking the UVKPortable file and can be done remotely.

Thanks for the suggestion. It will be a nice addition.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred