Wi-Fi networks in Windows 8/8.1

Do you know of a feature that UVK should have? Post it here!
wmmiller

Wi-Fi networks in Windows 8/8.1

Post by wmmiller »

Hi Fred,
I’ve noticed that is no great way to deal with Wi-Fi networks in Windows 8/8.1 that is not in range. Below is what I’ve been using and I’m wondering if you could implement a fix or two in this department concerning windows 8/8.1 and/or other OS’s as well. I hope this made sense, if not just ask. I can elaborate more on my thinking if you would like. Have yourself a SUPER day!
Bill

**From The command prompt**
Show saved wireless network profiles: netsh wlan show profiles
To delete wlan profiles which you are not using: netsh wlan delete profile name="PROFILENAME"
To remove all WiFi profiles: netsh wlan delete profile name=*

PS: Where in the forums would you like feature requests at? I can never decide between help & support and Comments.
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Wi-Fi networks in Windows 8/8.1

Post by Fred »

Yes, the new windows version doesn't make may things easy. It seems that Microsoft is trying to improve in the metro apps at the cost of removing desktop features. The fact is, for advanced users, the metro apps are crap.

So, what should the fix do? delete all wireless network profiles? I think that is too harsh. The best would be to have an interface like the windows 7 "Manage Wireless Networks" control panel, allowing to manage the saved wlan profiles in an easy way.

What are your thoughts?
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

There. You have a new forum for feature requests. I'm moving some posts there, but I'll keep the original location.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Thanks Fred. Now I know exactly where to put requests. 8-)

I think your right about deleting all being a bit harsh. I’m not sure what the best approach is, but an interface like the windows 7 "Manage Wireless Networks" would be super awesome. Although, delete all would be better than no option at all. It really boils down to what you can work out with it. Thanks for your hard work.
Bill
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

While I was doing my research about this feature, I found this: NetSetMan

The program is free for non commercial use and the licenses for professionals are worth $16-$23 USD.
I didn't test the software yet, planning to do it tomorrow.

It seems to be the only lan/wlan software available on the web. Makes me wonder if it's worth to dedicate a few months building a new one...

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Hi Fred,
It’s likely not worth a ton of time unless you can sell it as a standalone portable program, I would buy it for the convenience, but can’t really speak for others. It’s not that hard to manually do what one needs using the above method.
Maybe UVK could just pop up the command prompt using the above methods. Although, there may not be a great way of doing that since there’s three different commands depending what it is your wanting to do. I’m just thinking out loud here on how I may be done without recreating the earth. This is not a show stopper by any means, so you just do what make the most sense to you even if it’s to just not bother with it.
Bill