[SOLVED]bugs

This forum is intended to help the users to disinfect their computers.
Fred
Site Admin

Re: bugs

Post by Fred »

Did you get the logs I sent you of the front office PC yet? sent them twice...?
No, Jamie, sorry. And I haven't enabled the junk e-mail yet.

I think I have the attachments enabled for private messages. Would you mind sending them trough a PM?

Now for your IE8:

As far as I recall from the logs, you don't have any decompression software installed. Forgive me if I'm wrong.

Please download 7-Zip from the following link: http://sourceforge.net/projects/sevenzi ... e/download

Install the software.

Now right-click the IE8 installer (IE8-WindowsXP-x86-ENU.exe), hover the 7-zip menu and click Extract to IE8-WindowsXP-x86-ENU

This will create a folder in the same directory as the installer named IE8-WindowsXP-x86-ENU containing all the setup files. Open it.

Inside the folder, search for the executable iexplore.exe. Double-click it.

Did Internet explorer work properly?

If not, right-click the file ieuinit.inf and click Install. Retry to open iexplore.exe.

Did it work now?

We'll continue after your reply.

Thanks.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

OH MY GOODNESS,
ok I got to the folder and double click on the iexplore.exe. it did open and this is what I have. let me see if it working now.

Fred, is this the only place I can go to open IE8? why does it open here and not from the START/programs/internet explorer…..
Can you please copy the full path of your IE8-WindowsXP-x86-ENU folder from the Windows explorer address bar and post it?

I'm making a script to re-install all IE files.

Thanks.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
jabernathy

Post by jabernathy »

Did you get my reply?

C:\Documents and Settings\jamie abernathy\Desktop\IE8-WindowsXP-x86-ENU(4)

Im sorry, I am being more of a hindrance than a help. Is this what you needed?
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Yes. Thanks.

I had seen the path in the screenshot you mailed me, but I couldn't define if there was a white space before the "(4)"

This script is zipped. Download and extract it to your desktop. It contains comments on the actions it will perform. Please right-click the script and click Open with Log Analyzer to read these comments. Verify the paths are correct.

Download the script:
UVKcfJamie2.zip
(1.23 KiB) Downloaded 1427 times
Then close the Log analyzer and double click the script. It will open UVK and load its contents to the text box in the Run UVK scripts section.

Click Run / Fix listed and confirm to run the commands. After running the script, please don't reboot the computer until we make sure everything worked as we planned. A new log will be present on your desktop named UVKFixLog. Please post or mail me its contents.

An important note for other users: DONT RUN THIS SCRIPT! This script was created only for this computer. However, advanced users and forum helpers may download it to learn how to create UVK scripts.

Fred
jabernathy

Post by jabernathy »

Fred, After the program ran I notice that IE8 opened up. However an error occurred as a moment that it was opened. I also notice that IE8 didn't look right, like I have no script or header bar where the tools and such should be. I tried to take a screen shot as I didn't see how to actually get a copy of the error report. I have attached the log file.
I also couldnt put a screen shot here so I sent you a private email. In the back ground you can see the IE8 page, and hopefully I am describing it correctly but if you can see the top of the page where File, Edit View, History Tools should be..there is nothing.
jamie
jabernathy

Post by jabernathy »

I am having trouble attaching the file log here. will send in private email if you dont mind.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

It's OK, Jamie.

Please don't reboot the machine, yet.

I'll have a look at the log.

Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

You can reboot when you wish, Jamie. Everything went as it was meant to.

After rebooting, if IE still generates the error, please post.

Thanks.

Fred
jabernathy

Post by jabernathy »

I rebooted the system and open IE from the start menu. There are no error coming up. The IE is giving me a blank IE page with google search. There is no menu, no tools or toolbar at all. but no errors.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

By default, the menu bar is hidden on IE8.

Please proceed as following to enable it:

Right click the empty area below the address bar. A menu will popup just like the picture below:Image
Now check Menu bar. This will enable your menu bar.
Uncheck Lock the toolbars. this will allow you to extend the space for the icons to the right of the menu you opened by the right click.

Click the small control just at the left of the home button and drag it to the left as much as you can.
Open the context menu again and check Lock the toolbars.

Now you should have your menu and toolbar.

I don't recommend installing third party toolbars, not even the google toolbar. You already have the google search in the IE's search bar (on the top right of the window)
Attachments
IEMenu.jpg
IEMenu.jpg (26.03 KiB) Viewed 86878 times

Fred
jabernathy

Post by jabernathy »

Fred, the google thing has automatically come up the moment the IE8 opened up. I also dont have any menus that come up when I right click. I do see that when I click on the "Home" button over on the right that this is when another error pops up. It is the IT has encountered a problem and needs to close.
I can't copy and paste the error so I will type it out.
APPNAME: iexplore.exe
appver: 8.0.6001.18702
Offset: f685fff1
....the operating system version and computer hardware in use: your digital product id, which could be used to identify your license; and the internet protocol IP address of your computer..etc. etc

I will try to send you a screen shot.
jabernathy

Post by jabernathy »

Fred, I downloaded the service pack 3. It at least downloaded. AND it appears to be installing. so far so good. I will let you know when it is finished.
jabernathy

Post by jabernathy »

I have the file completely downloaded. Did you want me to install it?
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Hi Jamie,

Since the Service pack 3 install failed, here's our next step.

We'll give our precious friend Bill a chance to fix your computer by following the procedure in the following article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377

I made a UVK script to automate the full procedure. It will do the following:
  • Kill all non critical processes. Save all your work before running the script.
    Stop all non Microsoft services.
    Download subinacl.exe, which I hosted in the website.
    Reset the registry and file permissions as described in the article.
    Run the Service pack installer. You'll still have to accept the licence and click to install.
    Reboot the machine.
The procedure to run the script is the same as the ones you run before.

Download the script:
UVKcfJamie3.zip
(448 Bytes) Downloaded 1381 times
After the machine reboots, please post whether the operation succeedded, so we may continue.

Thanks.

Fred
jabernathy

Post by jabernathy »

ok, working on this now. Thanks Fred.
jabernathy

Post by jabernathy »

ok, Fred I'm done. The machine rebooted. What do I check for?
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Did the Service pack install with no errors?

Edit: If it did, you may now reinstall IE.

Fred
jabernathy

Post by jabernathy »

ok will do. Do you want me to reinstall from the

C:\Documents and Settings\jamie abernathy\Desktop\IE8-WindowsXP-x86-ENU(4) folder? do I just double click on the .exe or should I choose the .inf file and right click to install. sorry to be so detailed but I am trying follow directions very carefully. It may not even matter but I want to make sure
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

I guess the best is to install from the archive (IE8-WindowsXP-x86-ENU.exe).

It will be another test to check if the install problems are solved.

Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

You still didn't say if the SP3 installed with success.

I'm asking this again because I forgot to ask you if the WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe file was in you desktop folder.

In the script I assumed it was.

Fred