Malware scans

You need help to start using UVK? You have a doubt on a UVK feature? Post here!
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
Bluesplayer

Malware scans

Post by Bluesplayer »

Hi,
First I have to say, this is a great program.
I am often called on to fix friends and family Pcs and to have so many tools all in one place
is excellent.

Today I was running MalwareBytes - SuperAntiSpyware and HitManPro using UVK.
All was running Ok until, using HitManPro.
It was asking to delete and re-install Windows files and also asking for the Install Cd.
My friend had no Cd available - the Task Manager was going crazy and there was no way to end processes
or shut down the PC.

I had no alternative but pull the plug to shut down the Pc.
At a re-start - all was a OK and the Pc loaded to desktop.
My question for future reference - what was HitManPro doing - how can I avoid the re-installation of Windows files?

Thanks for any reply.
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Malware scans

Post by Fred »

Hi Bluesplayer, welcome to the forum.

Honestly I don't know why Hitman pro was doing that. Maybe it found infected system files and it was asking the cd to be able to repair them.

Or are you sure it wasn't after the hitman pro scan? Because by defaut UVK runs an sfc scan after the malware scans. Wasn't it sfc who was asking for the cd?

If it was, you can disable this feature before clicking Start scans: Click Repair script options, uncheck Run system protected resources scan ans click Save & close.

Note that sfc only requires the windows cd on xp. On vista or seven it doesn't need the windows setup media, and this scan can be very important if system files have been infected.

If it really was Hitman pro who was asking the cd, I presume it only does it on xp too, since on Vista+ all the resources are on the hard drive.

I hope this has been of some help.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Bluesplayer

Post by Bluesplayer »

Hi Fred,

It seemed to be while HitManPro was updating - MalwareBytes-SuperAntiSpyware scans had just finished and the update and dowloading bar for HitMan was the same as the other two.
I am used to using all 3 malware scanners but today, I just had UVK on a USB stick.

It asked for the Cd - when I kept clicked No - it said [as often does sfc] I may be asked for the Cd later.

But what concerned me was, what was happening in Task Manager.
All sorts of Windows [system32] files were running and loading one after another.
I could not shut down the Pc using the Task Manager and if I let the scan continue - once completed, we may have needed the original Cd to have Xp Pro load to the desktop.

Anyway as said - I was able to re-boot to the desktop.
This was more likely my fault and I will re-read the info on 'script options' and watch more carefully before running a scan.

Many thanks for your reply.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

You're welcome. :P

If you need more help, just let me know.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred