Rebootexec - could it run the watermark without the parameter?

Do you know of a feature that UVK should have? Post it here!
Xander

Rebootexec - could it run the watermark without the parameter?

Post by Xander »

I thought I'd use it for remote jobs - send it over for its 'at a glance' info but it seems to need to be run with a "-desktopwatermark" parameter. But it doesn't seem to do anything when called without any parameters (I'm assuming it has other functions).

Could the watermark usage be its default? So, if run by itself, it displays the little window?

I tried a workaround of putting it in a winrar SFX file but that flags the antiviruses and, more importantly, Win10's Defender jumped on it. Interestingly, on virustotal, rebootexec flags none but if it's the only file in an SFX, a whole bunch go off.
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Rebootexec - could it run the watermark without the parameter?

Post by Fred »

RebootExec does a lot of things. Besides many commands that are executed on reboot, it also contains the code for Desktop Watermark, Stop Resetting My Apps, Multiple Reboot Scheduler, Account Profile Fixer, Configure Immunization and others. When executed without command line parameters it will show a dialog box letting users select the desired app to run. I'm sure you'll be happy with this.
rebootexec.png
rebootexec.png (11.47 KiB) Viewed 5989 times
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Xander

Post by Xander »

How is it that I've tried running it a bunch of times and I've never seen that window? Tried it again on two PCs and it didn't show a window.

I've run MRS and APF on different machines as portable apps, copying over no other files and they've never complained that Rebootexec was not present.

Do you mean by "it *will* show a dialog" that you're talking about a future version of it?
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Hi Xander. Sorry I didn't get a notification about your last post.

Yes, I created that dialog box in the last update. It's working fine for me.

MRS and APF do not depend on RebootExec. But RebootExec contains their code, so it can do all the things they do.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred