APF lost all data from a profile

You need help to start using UVK? You have a doubt on a UVK feature? Post here!
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
Salvatore64

APF lost all data from a profile

Post by Salvatore64 »

I was using APF on a laptop running Windows10 Pro 1903, and the system rebooted suddenly during the process.
I am now left with the original account but with no data (No Picture, No Documents, No Desktop Files, etc..) and a temp Account Profile Fixer also with no data.
Is there a way to recover all the important documents from the profile?
Please Help!
Fred
Site Admin

Re: APF lost all data from a profile

Post by Fred »

Hi Salvatore64.

It seems your system generated a BSOD durring the account repair process and rebooted before the procedure was complete.

All your data is still in your hard drive, more specifically in C:\Users\OldUserProfile. You may need to take ownership and grant permissions to access that folder. Inside you will find your old desktop folder, documents, music, videos, appdata, etc. You can manually move your data to the new profile directory.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Salvatore64

Post by Salvatore64 »

Thank Fred,
I was able to copy all the data to an external hard drive.
I am now left with the temp Account Profile and the original account, so what is the next step to get the original account fixed?
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

You see, during the repair process, APF works from the temp account, removes the original account but not the data and creates a new, same named account. I believe it did all this, since you have a new same named, empty account. Because the computer rebooted unexpectedly, APF could not complete the operation (move the data from the old profile and delete the temp account). These steps will need to be taken manually.

Are you experiencing issues with this new account?
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Salvatore64

Post by Salvatore64 »

Yes, when i sign in, the system stays on a "Preparing Windows" for long time and then there is a pop-up "We can't sign in to your account: This problem can often be fixed by signing out of your account and then signing back in. If you don't sign out now, any files you create or changes you make will be lost."
This goes in a loop everytime i sign in.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Can you login to the APF temp admin account?

Fred