<UnzipFile>

You need help to start using UVK? You have a doubt on a UVK feature? Post here!
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
SAMEtechAndy

<UnzipFile>

Post by SAMEtechAndy »

I am having some unexpected issues with the above command after updating my software. All the files are present and can be extracted manually.

From Run Script
If I do:
<UnzipFile>
%ThirdParty%\Autoruns.zip
Successful

If I do:
<UnzipFile>
%ThirdParty%\Insomnia.zip
Failed to extract

If I do:
<UnzipFile>
%ThirdParty%\Autoruns.zip
%ThirdParty%\CCleanerPortable.zip
%ThirdParty%\CrystalDiskInfo.zip
%ThirdParty%\DnsAngel.zip | %ThirdParty%\
Success, Fail, Fail, Fail

And sometimes I end up with a subdirectory in my Scripts folder called "%ThirdParty%", when running at UVK start.

Any idea what I've got wrong. Can send whole script if needed.

Thanks,
Andy
Fred
Site Admin

Re: <UnzipFile>

Post by Fred »

Hi Andy.

If it does not unzip, maybe there's something wrong with the zip archive. For instance, you may be downloading an EXE file instead of a ZIP, or the download may have failed, so there was no zip file to extract. It may also fail if the extracted files already exist and are currently being used.

I just tested the following script:

Code: Select all

<UpdateSoftware>
%ThirdParty%\CCleanerPortable.zip | https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/download/portable | start the download
%ThirdParty%\CrystalDiskInfo.zip | https://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE-SOFTWARE/System/System-Info/Portable-CrystalDiskInfo.shtml | Softpedia
<UnzipFile>
%ThirdParty%\CCleanerPortable.zip
%ThirdParty%\CrystalDiskInfo.zip
And the result was as follows:
Capture.png
Capture.png (18.14 KiB) Viewed 11482 times
Tip: To easily get the download URL and link text, use Tech Tool Store's Create similar tool feature.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
SAMEtechAndy

Post by SAMEtechAndy »

Hi Fred,

I've worked out what is happening.

When I run UVKPortable from my USB it runs my updatesoftware.uvk script and downloads the software to my USB and unzips it fine, apart from the rogue, empty "%ThirdParty%" directory it creates in my scripts folder.

If I then try to run an <unzipfile> command manually from the Run Scripts section it now interprets the %Installsourcedir% as c:\program files\uvk - Ultra Virus Killer. Of course the zip files are not in there, because when I ran the whole script at startup it was F:\SAMEtechToolkit\ThirdParty. Incidentally if I now run the whole script it also creates a "%ThirdParty%" directory at c:\program files\uvk - Ultra Virus Killer, also empty.

So, why does the focus of %installsourcedir% change after startup has finished. Can I make it stick with my USB path like I set in the Options, i.e. F:\SAMEtechToolkit\ThirdParty.

I realise that this is not what I would normally do, but I wouldn't mind the option to never store ThirdParty on the system disk, unless you can tell me why that is not ideal.

Many thanks for your patience.
Andy
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Andy,

The value of %InstallSourceDir% is always the directory where the package that installed UVK resides. That can not be changed. But that directory must be writable, otherwise, UVK will use the Third Party folder instead.

What can be changed is the value of %ThirdParty%, in the Options section. However, if you change that value and use CloudSync, you need to upload your new settings to the cloud right afterwards, otherwise they will revert back the next time you run UVK.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
SAMEtechAndy

Post by SAMEtechAndy »

Thanks Fred,

I always run UVKPortable.exe from a USB stick. I changed the value of %ThirdParty% in my settings to point to %InstallSourceDir%\ThirdParty and uploaded. When my script runs at startup that works fine and it updates and unzips the software on my USB, e.g. F:\SAMEtechToolkit\ThirdParty

I notice then once everything has finished loading that in Task Manager UVKPortable.exe is no longer running but UVK_en.exe is now. Expected behaviour I guess and nothing to be surprised about.

What I then discovered is that if I continue to use:
<UpdateSoftware>
;Autoruns
%ThirdParty%\Autoruns.zip | http://download.sysinternals.com/files/Autoruns.zip
My software updates to c:\program files\uvk - Ultra Virus Killer\ThirdParty, despite the Options screen still telling me that the "Expanded path in this PC:" is still F:\SAMEtechToolkit\ThirdParty

However, if I use:
<UpdateSoftware>
;Autoruns
%Installsourcedir%\ThirdParty\Autoruns.zip | http://download.sysinternals.com/files/Autoruns.zip
My software updates to my USB

So it would appear that %installsourcedir% still points to my USB, but %ThirdParty% has inherited a new path.

Sorry to drag this on, I just like to understand and I think I'm now able to explain a bit better after more testing.

Andy
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Andy, your issue is very weird and I'm not being able to reproduce it. Let me just explain something so you become more aware of how it works under the hood.

When UVK is launched, if a custom %ThirdParty% path is set, it tries to create a file in that directory. If the file is successfully created, fine, otherwise, the default path is used (%UVKDir%\Third party).

My only guess is that UVK is not being able to create the test file, either because the device is write protected, the local antivirus is preventing the file from being created, or any other reason.

I even tried to change %Third party% to %InstallSourceDir%\Third party, then launched UVKPortable from G:\SAMEtechToolkit ran the script I posted above and it downloaded and unzipped just fine.

I would suggest you do the following:
  • Launch UVK and go to the Tools and tweaks module.
  • In the Run/Open field, enter %ThirdParty%. Press Enter.
What is the path of the folder that the Windows file explorer opens?

Fred
SAMEtechAndy

Post by SAMEtechAndy »

Hi Fred,
Strangely, it doesn't even open File Explorer, but if i type %installsourcedir% it opens to F:\sametechtoolkit
Andy
SAMEtechAndy

Post by SAMEtechAndy »

Hi Fred,
This appears to be fixed now in the current release.
Thanks,
Andy
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Hi Andy.

Glad it is fixed, now. Thanks for submitting this.

Have a nice day!

Fred