[SOLVED] <IEStartPages> | Start Page | Google

You need help to start using UVK? You have a doubt on a UVK feature? Post here!
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
wmmiller

[SOLVED] <IEStartPages> | Start Page | Google

Post by wmmiller »

Hello Fred,
Is it possible to make this script command (<IEStartPages> | Start Page | Google) editable to choose the search provider desired? Like Yahoo or Bing etc.
The new Bata 5.5.4.0 seems to be working well. The reboot in safe mode is nice and the new beep options are exactly what I needed. Thank you! :D
Bill
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Fred
Site Admin

Re: <IEStartPages> | Start Page | Google

Post by Fred »

Hello, Bill.

The <IEStartPages> | Start Page | Google command does not change the search provider. It changes the Internet explorer's start page, which is the page that is opened when the user launches IE.

A search provider is the search engine used when the user types search keywords in the address bar.

Anyway, you can do most everything from a UVK script, you just need to know how to do it.

For instance, to change the start page to http://www.yahoo.com you just need a UVK script as follows:

Code: Select all

<Reg>
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
"Start Page"="http://www.yahoo.com/"
As for the search providers, it's a bit more complicated, but can be done too.
Search providers are saved int the following key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes

Each search provider is saved in a subkey which has a GUID formated name like {7E9F85DD-DE48-4CFA-9257-CE61D9F63168}

The DefaultScope value tells which key corresponds to the default search provider.

Let me know if you need an example, and for which search provider you need the example.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Thank you Fred. I did actually mean the start page. That’s good information you gave me. I often forget to change the start page back to what someone was using and then get a call saying it’s different. Not a huge deal for most, but I live in a small town with many elderly people and it shakes them up when it’s changed. I’m going to create my scripts with the different start pages so I can just check what they are using and choose my script accordingly. Thanks again. :D
Bill
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

You're welcome, Bill. Anytime you have questions, just ask.

I'm marking the topic as solved.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred