Eset flagging UVK

Use this forum to place comments about UVK.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
Fred
Site Admin

Eset flagging UVK

Post by Fred »

Hello.

I was recently notified that UVK is being flagged by Eset Antivirus as a variant of Win32/UwS.UVK.B, whatever that means.

I emailed them at samples@eset.sk asking the to fix the false positive, and they said my application is listed in blacklist called Deceptors:
https://customer.appesteem.com/deceptor ... ler-180508

Now, while I will fix the things they are complaining about in that page, I think they should notify the developers before black listing an application like that, bringing possible permanent damage to the application's reputation.

So I'm asking here that those willing to help to fix this FP to send an email to samples@eset.sk or to dispute@appesteem.com asking them to remove the application from the blacklist. Instructions can be found in the following page: https://support.eset.com/kb141/

Thanks in advance for your help. I believe this in in the interest of everyone, especially computer techs, because the application is being blocked in every computer running Eset antivirus.

Eset is the only AV company flagging UVK. https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/a328 ... /analysis/
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Charger440

Re: Eset flagging UVK

Post by Charger440 »

First off, I would like to applaud you on a novel idea for helping to reduce spyware.

However, I think your idea might be in vain if you are going to devour apps that are made for the purpose of cleaning computers.

UVK is used by hundreds of IT business owners such as myself and trusted to do exactly it's job on a daily basis.. I have looked over your list of complaints with UVK and that "Bad" label you complain about is one we have discussed in the community as a whole. While it's not perfect, it not intended to "scare you in to" anything except do the clean up. Invalid registry items of any form have a negative affect on the computer. Although, how much is debatable.

The other things on the list, considering it's primarily sold to people in the tech market is really just nitpicking of an app that is almost entirely customer driven. I personally am responsible for many features in the app. Matter of fact one was added in the latest version because of me.

If you are going to take on this adventure. I wish you the best but I also ask that you know the app you are rating. Know why it was created, who it was created for and who the driving force behind the development is. Especially if you have the ability to ruin someones name that has done nothing wrong and tried his very best to build the app that his clients in the IT business want.

If you want any more info as to why you made a mistake with this app and should not have rated it the way you did, feel free to reach out to me or any of the dozens of active members on the forums for more clarification.

Thank you from an active UVK user and contributor.

Jim Walker

Owner/CEO
WCS LLc
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Thanks, Jim. Appesteem already removed the application from the blacklist, but Eset still flags it.

https://www.virustotal.com/file/812901f ... /analysis/
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred i followed your link info and ESET claims it's because it's in the appesteem list.

Also they just notified me that they removed it, however that like is still active on their website so i don't really consider that removed if they are still sharing that info with people.

I plan to contact ESET as well but ran out of time last might.
Jim

reggaemanu

Post by reggaemanu »

Altough I think it should be fixed since Appesteem removed it from their list I just sent an e-mail to eset just in case...
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

I like AppEsteems idea but their excution, sucks. I actually prolly would not have known about them if they had not flagged UVK and Fred posted here.

One of their criteria for a deceiver is "Application does not offer a fully functional trial."

As a consumer, I'm on board with that. Fix my problem without my paying you. Awesome!
As a producer, I think they have their heads up their asses. You want to just let them fix the issue with a free trial? Thanks for screwing me over buddy....
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

New issues with Eset. Here's the last message chat:

Me:
Hi,

The Appesteem issue was fixed in Fri May 18 but my application is still
being flagged by Eset.

Can you please tell why is the app flagged, so I can do something about it?

Thanks,

Fred
Eset's response:
Hello Fred,

Your product contains a registry cleaner and that is a controversial technology. Microsoft and security experts do not recommend registry cleaners.
We can tolerate registry cleaners if they offer ability to evaluate prior purchase (fully functional trial is the standard in security industry anyway).
Let us know when you implement free evaluation or in case when you decide to to make your product without the registry cleaning component.

Regards,

ESET Malware Response Team
Well, I'm not removing the System booster because I love it and it is the only cleaner I trust. And I'm sure many of you love it too. I guess I'll have to go with the free trial or just skip Eset users. Any thoughts?

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred
AppEsteem says pretty much the same thing. They want you to give FULLY functional trials of your software or they will mark you off as "bad." What do you bet they don't give fully functional lists of "bad" software away?

It's YOUR software, if you don't want to do a fully functional trial then don't. They have no business trying to use their position to force other people to do what they want... I would tell them to take it shove it where the sun don't shine but that's just me.
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Thanks JIm. Problem is, at this point 5 AVs are flagging UVKSetup.exe. The number was 8, I asked them to whitelist, and 3 did. Ironically, UVKPortable.exe is only flagged by 2 AVs, which proves this is all bullshit, because it is exactly the same app, just a slightly different installer.

https://www.virustotal.com/file/163735d ... /analysis/
https://www.virustotal.com/file/ada257d ... /analysis/

I'm afraid if I don't give the trial, more AVs will start flagging the app, which will probably be worse for me.

I suspect a 14-day trial it may not be such a bad idea. It will surely make sales drop at first, but with time, it may improve the app's global sentiment and gradually increase sales.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

It sounds like you have thought this out pretty well Fred. I think your right that a 14 day trial will be the best option in the end.
However, the hot head in me would want to tell them to go F themselves. Of course that’s just me and that’s why I try not to resolve things when I’m mad or I let my wife do the talking. She is much more diplomatic than I am. :)
Bill
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

I know how that feels like, Bill. I've had that same though about 1000 times. But then my good sense tells me to think twice before starting a war with giants.

You know what really bothers me is not to give the trial and possibly lose sales. It's to have some crappy AV company telling me how to provide my own app to the public.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred

I understand where you are coming from but, if you don't stand up to these bullying tactics, they will continue to do that.

We all know there are bad cleaners out here. Hell, your tool cleans a lot of either directly or by automating another program. It shouldn't take half a brain to research you a little bit and find out you're legit. They are just blindly rubber stamping programs they think fit in a category.
Jim

Muhammad Tasneem

Post by Muhammad Tasneem »

I really hate their answers :evil:

Just try to ask them again, instead of full trial, are they agree with limited trial???
Porthos

Post by Porthos »

Windows Defender just flagged the 2 executables as a PUA.

I have submitted them to MS as a FP.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

I'm starting to get a little pissed about these AV products marking UVK as bad
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Thanks for reporting the FP. That's exactly what we need to do: keep reporting ASAP until they realize the application is not a PUP. It's no longer being detected by Windows defender or TrendMicro. Lets hope with time others will whitelist too.

Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

I'm getting overwhelmed by this and I'm beginning to suspect I'm not going to be able to prevent it from spreading more. If anyone wants to help with this before it gets any worse, you can submit UVKSetup.exe, compressed into a password protected zip archive with the following password: infected

The table below shows how you can submit the sample to different vendors. Your message should highlight that the application is being falsely flagged as [Detection name].
-
AV nameDetection nameSubmit to
ClamAVWin.Dropper.Johnnie-6567747-0https://www.clamav.net/reports/fp
ESET-NOD32a variant of Win32/UVK.A potentially unwantedsamples@eset.com
FortinetW32/Carifred_Ultra_Virus_Killer.Asubmitvirus@fortinet.com
IkarusPUA.Uvkprobe@ikarus.at
TrendMicro-HouseCallSuspicious_GEN.F47V0624https://www.trendmicro.com/en_us/about/ ... ation.html
-
Windows Defender is currently only flagging UVK_en.exe and UVK_en64.exe so you can put both files in a password protected zip archive with the password "infected" (without the quotes), and submit it in the following page: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/filesubmission. The detection name is PUA:Win32/Presenoker.

While you have that zip file, you can also send it to ClamAV, ESET-NOD32, Ikarus and TrendMicro, as instructed in the table above. They all are detecting those EXEs.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Fred
Porthos

Post by Porthos »

Ms like others are flagging many programs as PUA/PUP that have the ability to optimize/tweak Windows. This includes defraggers, registry cleaners and more.

In many cases, I agree with them but they need to leave tech tools designed for mostly "techs" alone.