Introducing Account Profile Fixer

Use this forum to discuss about anything you want, post announcements and informational topics.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Introducing Account Profile Fixer

Post by Fred »

I was struggling to get the scheduled task to work in all systems, so I opted to use a different method: a startup shortcut. It seems to be working fine, now. Tested in XP, 7, 8.1 and 10, with one or several user accounts.

Enjoy!!
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Fred,

I sure appreciate all your hard work. I ran APF this morning to test it out. I started it and then had to take off for a while. I came back just short of two hours later. At that point there were two users. A Bill account and the APF temp account. I logged onto the Bill account with the password that was already on that account. (I never tried the APF temp account password but it wanted one) I have a few left over folders. Is that normal? Has how it should work changed? I never saw any UAC but I suppose that could have happened when I was gone and it ok’s itself. Or, maybe I’m just a problem child.

Thanks, Bill

Has anyone else tried this?
Attachments
12.PNG
12.PNG (14.39 KiB) Viewed 20077 times
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Another quick note. I rebooted and still have the temp and Bill account but it will not let me log onto the temp account with or without a password. I’m not sure it did anything. Before it was as if it was a new account but this time there is no indication anything changed. I’ll leave it the way it is for now in case you may want to look around for yourself.

Bill
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Bill, I forgot to mention you should delete the temp admin account, reboot and start over. The account's files were probably removed on reboot, and it didn't do anything. The process should be completely automated, no UAC prompts. And the temp admin account should be automatically removed.

Please delete the temp admin account, reboot and start over. Thanks, Bill!!
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Fred,

I don’t think there was a temp account. I went back to the clone I had so it shouldn’t have existed. I will check on that and try again.

Bill
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

LOL Fred! :lol: You were right. But you already knew that since it shouldn’t have been there. :oops:

I guess one should pay closer attention to file selection. :roll:
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

My fault, Bill. Should have said Account Profile Fixer temp admin account, but I was just lazy.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Fred,

I was just about to post. I don’t know what’s going on. I checked and double check to make sure there were no left over folders. There were not. I ran it again with the same results. It seems it did nothing really. I now have an “AccountProfileFixer” folder in C: and an “apf_temp_admin” folder under C: Users. It seems nothing was reset as it did before. Is there something stuck in the registry? Maybe I should try it on a different computer. I just don’t know what’s going on.

Bill

FYI: I’m logged onto the Bill account having used my password to access it.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

The AccountProfileFixer folder in C: is normal, the apf_temp_admin folder was probably left from the previous versions of the tool. What did you expect it to reset?

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Fred,

I don’t know any more what it’s is supposed to do. I said above that I checked and doubled checked for folders. I didn’t find any. I just know the first couple times I used it was different. It was as if it was a new user with my programs still installed. That’s why I asked if there is maybe something stuck in the registry. I have to pick the Bill account and then use my password. Is it supposed to put my password back on the new account when it’s done? It didn’t do that the first time or two. I’m just confused as heck now. I wish someone else would try it and pipe up how it worked for them. This is what I get every time I reboot.

Bill
20180206_171519 (Mobile).jpg
20180206_171519 (Mobile).jpg (59.29 KiB) Viewed 20053 times
The attachment 20180206_171519 (Mobile).jpg is no longer available
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

20180206_171525 (Mobile).jpg
20180206_171525 (Mobile).jpg (56.41 KiB) Viewed 20053 times
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred

I wish I could help troubleshoot but it worked fine for me on Windows 10 Home 64
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Thanks, Jim. It's been working fine for me too, in all Windows versions.

Bill, would you let me remote to that PC? We could use TeamViewer (free version). If you do, please PM me the ID and pass. Maybe that way I can figure our what is going on.

Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Account Profile Fixer was officially released! I'll add it to UVK and TTS now.

https://www.carifred.com/apf/

Enjoy, and don't forget to leave feedback!

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

I take it you worked with Bill and got that issue addressed. I'm glad you was able to narrow it down and fix it. I am curious as to what was causing BIll so much trouble with it though
Jim

wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Hey Jim,

I meant to post back but got super busy. Fred remoted in and looked around and straightened things out. I’m not sure we know exactly what happened but all is working fine now. It’s a great program that’s going to be very handy in the arsenal. :D

Bill
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Bill

I figured he would figure it out and you having the issue helped him better the release version. I'm sure if you had a problem someone would have had the same issue and you helped him solve it.

All of Fred's tools are pretty good. He's continually improving them and getting better all the time. One thing that makes his software so good is that he listens tot he people that use it.
Jim

Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

I used APF for the first time on a customer machine yesterday and it worked perfect.

I do have a suggestion, can it put the pinned programs back on the taskbar?
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Jim, if you keep Windows appdata from the old account, the pinned shortcuts will not be deleted. I will still make APF always keep the shortcuts anyway. Thanks for the suggestion.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred, I figured that might work but Appdata can transfer issues tot he new account so I generally wouldn't do that. On the icons, can you make that an option as well incase people don't want them transferred?
Jim