New License

Use this forum to place comments about UVK.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
Charger440

New License

Post by Charger440 »

Fred

I noticed in the new version of UVK you added new licensing options. I'm not real clear on what your idea behind this option is so, would you mind explaining your ideas on it. Trying to understand if or how it may apply to me.
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Xander

Re: New License

Post by Xander »

v10.8.0.0 Release date: December 10 2017

Added support for OEM licenses. This is a new, cheap license type that only works in one computer. End users can now enable all UVK features for a low price. Also, techs can now leave UVK installed in the customer machine by purchasing a OEM license for it. We're creating a partnership program where techs will have big discounts in OEM licenses for their customers.
Mentioned in the ChangeLog
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Xander wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:49 pm
v10.8.0.0 Release date: December 10 2017

Added support for OEM licenses. This is a new, cheap license type that only works in one computer. End users can now enable all UVK features for a low price. Also, techs can now leave UVK installed in the customer machine by purchasing a OEM license for it. We're creating a partnership program where techs will have big discounts in OEM licenses for their customers.
Mentioned in the ChangeLog
Believe it or not, the change log is the first thing I read when there is a new version. However, this does not answer the question I ask. Hence the need to ask the question for clarification.
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

I'm glad this was asked here. i also have a question for you guys concerning the OEM licenses.

As the change log says, the OEM licence is a cheap license destined to a single computer. I had several requests from users claiming they could not afford to pay $50 for a license for their single PC.

So I thought I could not only provide this license type for end users, but also for techs wanting to leave UVK fully installed in their customers machines without any risk.

I'm creating a partnership program for techs. They will have 40% or more off in OEM licenses. This way they can sell the OEM licenses for their public price and make some money out of it.

Now my question is: Should OEM licenses purchased from a tech account with a branding license keep the branding in the application? Or should they reset all branding features?
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

On a side note, and to fully answer Jim's question, nothing has really changed for existing licenses.

As i always said, I don't mind if you leave UVK installed in the client's machine. But it's risky and may force me to disable that license if the client uses it to make a pirated copy of the application.

The OEM license is a neat solution for that issue.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:54 pm I'm glad this was asked here. i also have a question for you guys concerning the OEM licenses.
I was hoping it would provide info for all by asking here.
As the change log says, the OEM licence is a cheap license destined to a single computer. I had several requests from users claiming they could not afford to pay $50 for a license for their single PC.
I could understand that if your only interested in one computer.
So I thought I could not only provide this license type for end users, but also for techs wanting to leave UVK fully installed in their customers machines without any risk.
I like the idea of a lower cost solution for end users but I'm not sure the same price would be good for techs who want to hide UVK and use it as an automated cleaning tool.
I'm creating a partnership program for techs. They will have 40% or more off in OEM licenses. This way they can sell the OEM licenses for their public price and make some money out of it.
Maybe this would be the answer to the previous section? It's always good to have another way to make money but is it good that we sell the same tool we use to clean the computer? I'm OK with Fred selling to end users but I'm not sure I want sell it to them myself. Thoughts on this?
Now my question is: Should OEM licenses purchased from a tech account with a branding license keep the branding in the application? Or should they reset all branding features?
I think this question would be better answered by making it an option.
On a side note, and to fully answer Jim's question, nothing has really changed for existing licenses.
I really didn't think this would affect current licenses as we have had this discussion in the group before and most of us were not willing to give up our lifetime licenses in exchange for better products and more diversity in products. I was more interested in how the new licenses could benefit me. Or if they would benefit me. What the vision behind the license types were. It's obvious that the one computer license could be the end user but the OEM license was the questionable one.
As i always said, I don't mind if you leave UVK installed in the client's machine. But it's risky and may force me to disable that license if the client uses it to make a pirated copy of the application.
What if a way to make a sub key based on your key could be made for versions you plan to leave on a computer? The sub key could also be tied to your hardware key that you just introduced. That way your real key is not jeopardized and the key would also not be any good on another computer. I think a sub key could also be used to block the upload option for the cloud storage of settings. I have left it on a few computers and noticed after the cloud storage for settings was really set in place that a couple of the installs decided to upload junk settings over the ones I had set to use. It would also be nice if the sub key could make it a hidden install if requested. Because of it's potential to damage the system, I really don't want my customers finding it and trying to use it.
The OEM license is a neat solution for that issue.
On a side note, is that RMM tool making any progress?
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Charger440 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:38 am What if a way to make a sub key based on your key could be made for versions you plan to leave on a computer? The sub key could also be tied to your hardware key that you just introduced. That way your real key is not jeopardized and the key would also not be any good on another computer. I think a sub key could also be used to block the upload option for the cloud storage of settings.
Jim, you just described what I plan to do with the OEM license in the partnership program. It will be tied to your email address and a hardware fingerprint. Cloudsync is disabled.
Charger440 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:38 am Maybe this would be the answer to the previous section? It's always good to have another way to make money but is it good that we sell the same tool we use to clean the computer? I'm OK with Fred selling to end users but I'm not sure I want sell it to them myself. Thoughts on this?
You wouldn't be selling a tool. You'd be selling a license to your customer. "You know, this is my repair tool. If I use it to repair and cleanup your PC, it's included in the budget, but if you want me to leave it installed I can sell you a special license".
Charger440 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:38 am On a side note, is that RMM tool making any progress?
Well, right now the RMM is not making progress at all. I have to finish this licensing thing first. But yes, I plan to keep working on it. :)

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:22 pm Jim, you just described what I plan to do with the OEM license in the partnership program. It will be tied to your email address and a hardware fingerprint. Cloudsync is disabled.
I'm not sure could sync should be disabled, I think just upload so that you could make the tool use the settings you want. Of coarse my thinking on this assumes your use of the tool more than the enduser.
Fred wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:22 pm You wouldn't be selling a tool. You'd be selling a license to your customer. "You know, this is my repair tool. If I use it to repair and cleanup your PC, it's included in the budget, but if you want me to leave it installed I can sell you a special license".
It is my opinion that this license for the end user should disable the registry tool and maybe the services and auto-run tools. My thinking on this is in regard to UVK being a very powerful that can do more harm than good in the wrong hands. Just a thought, trying to prevent possible issues. Maybe give techs the option to disable features if they like?
Jim