SAS X 2

Use this forum to report bugs you find in the software.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
Rogue

SAS X 2

Post by Rogue »

Hi all
when installing UVK at the moment is seen to end up with
SASPortable

and SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition both installed and instead of
updating the SASPortable it downloads the SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition

over and over and over
Fred
Site Admin

Re: SAS X 2

Post by Fred »

Thanks Rogue. I noticed that yesterday too. It seems that Super AntiSpyware is not letting me download the portable tech edition anymore.

I'll automate it for the SAS free home edition in the next release with check already installed feature, like Mbam. Until then, please don't use the SAS scan from UVK. Just do it manually if you wish.

The new version will be ready within a week, more or less.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

:D :D :D
Littlebits

Post by Littlebits »

Howdy Fred,

Just wanted to let you know that SuperAntiSpyware moved their portable link.
The new link is http://www.superantispyware.com/sassaferun.php

Good day. :D
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Hi Littlebits, Thanks for the link. I'll use it for the new automation, which I'll start tomorrow.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Littlebits

Post by Littlebits »

Howdy Fred, I just wanted to let you know that v.4.0.0.0 still does not download the correct version of SuperAntiSpyware portable.
It is downloading the installer version instead.

SuperAntiSpyware portable name change to "Tech Edition" it is different now, not completely portable and doesn't support signature updates. You have to download a new version each time you want to run a scan because the older version expire after about everyday or after the first signature update. After it expires, it will just display a message to download the new version and will no longer function. Download- http://superantispyware.com/onlinescan.html

Each time you download the new version it will generate a random name for example: "SAS_76180915.COM", "SAS_601B6274.COM", "SAS_8751.COM", etc.

I really don't know how to could resolve this issue unless you just remove SuperAntiSpyware from the Automatic Anti-malware scans and add a link to download it.

Nice work on v.4.0.0.0, Ultra Virus Killer just appeared on MajorGeeks today!! :D

Good Day. :D
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Funny... It's working fine for me. Just made an automated critical point scan.

Fred
Littlebits

Post by Littlebits »

Fred wrote:Funny... It's working fine for me. Just made an automated critical point scan.
I uninstalled and reinstalled and now SuperAntiSpyware did work but it installed on my system set itself to run with Windows and added services at system startup. It also remains to run in my taskbar after I shut it down, I have to right click and select "Exit". Something that I didn't want, when I checked the version it says "Free Edition" not "Tech Edition" which is the new portable.

I much prefer to just have the "Tech Edition" it doesn't install and doesn't add services or system starup entries and closes after you shut it down.

There really isn't a problem with Malwarebytes installing since it doesn't add anything to the system startup, neither does Hitman Pro or Kaspersky TDS Killer.

Is there a way you could set UVK to use the "Tech Edition" instead of the installed "Free Edition"?

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

UVK was downloading the tech edition before. But The php download page started to redirect to the home edition.

However, I was still able to download the tech edition from my browser. So they obviously made the php download page read the home edition file when the user agent is not a common browser (or maybe only when it's just UVK).

You see, I set the user agent as UVK - Ultra virus killer. So, it's easy for them to know when the file is being requested by UVK.

But that's not a bad sign. It means they don't want me to use the tech edition, which is not free, but they don't mind if we use the free edition.

And it's working for me even if the SAS tray icon is active.

I don't want to hack any software. If the author doesn't want me to use it, I'll remove it, that's all.

Anyway, sooner or later I'll have to create my own scanner and stop using third party ones.

Thanks for your help.

Fred
Littlebits

Post by Littlebits »

I understand the problem, SuperAntiSpyware has went downhill since it was bought out by Support.com.
Many users are complaining about the way they made changes to the portable Tech edition and Free edition.

The only thing is finds anymore is tracking cookies, Malwarebytes and Hitman Pro detects the real malware.

So I don't think it would be missed that much. Of coarse they are other portable tools like McAfee Stinger- http://downloadcenter.mcafee.com/produc ... tinger.exe , it has made many improvements lately added advanced rootkit detection, fake antivirus detection and has partnered with other antivirus vendors to share malware databases. It is one of the best stand-alone removal tools.

I believe McAfee Stinger would be nice to have in UVK Automatic Anti-malware scans.

Another good option would be Microsoft Safety Scanner- http://www.microsoft.com/security/scann ... fault.aspx
Download 32-bit: http://definitionupdates.microsoft.com/ ... /msert.exe
Download 64-bit: http://definitionupdates.microsoft.com/ ... /msert.exe

It is completely portable and like McAfee Stinger, Microsoft has databases from several antivirus vendors to remove infections.

Both would be better options than SuperAntiSpyware.