Removes Desktop shortcuts

Use this forum to report bugs you find in the software.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
Charger440

Removes Desktop shortcuts

Post by Charger440 »

Fred

I have the script in the screenshot below and it removes the Plant files and Kenzies Scans shortcuts from the desktop but does not mess with any others. Any idea why that would be? It shouldn't remove any user created shortcuts.

Also, it's opened in Wordpad because opening it log analyzer makes the log analyzer window huge, like, it's so far outside of the screen that all you can see is white.
Attachments
UVk issue.png
UVk issue.png (514.64 KiB) Viewed 2762 times
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Removes Desktop shortcuts

Post by Fred »

Hi Jim.

I think what's removing the shortcuts is the <CleanupRegistry> command, because it removes invalid shortcuts. For some reason, UVK is not being able to resolve those shortcuts. This is just a hunch, can't think of anything else right now. You can check that out in the system booster. If it lists those shortcuts as invalid there, you can double-click the corresponding item to see what it says.

You can fix the log analyzer by deleting the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\UVK - Ultra virus killer\LogAnalyzer registry key.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Jim, the Log analyzer bug will be fixed in the next update. I'll wait to hear from you about the shortcuts before releasing the update.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

I will test your theory tonight and get back with you as soon as I know. I'm limited on what I can do during business hours and since this is not critical to their business, I have to wait til later.
Jim

Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

I found the problem.... sort of....

I was trying to automate that from Ninja and you can have it run as System or logged on user. When run as System it deletes those shortcuts but not as admin. Not sure if there is a way to fix that which sucks...
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Jim, can you please add those shortcuts to a ZIP archive and post it here? Maybe that'll help me figure out what is happening. Thanks.

Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Thank you for sending the shortcuts over, Jim. I think I figured it out. They are both network shortcuts, and by the time they were scanned the target remote folder was not available to the system account. That may be because the saved login credentials were available only to the administrator user, and not to the system account.

I gave this some more thought and I think shortcuts pointing to network paths should not be marked as invalid just because the target path is not available. That may happen because the remote PC is turned off, or because the logon credentials were changed, or are not available.

So, in the next update, all shortcuts pointing to network paths will be skipped.

Fred