Recommend fix to add to uvk

Do you know of a feature that UVK should have? Post it here!
whiggs

Recommend fix to add to uvk

Post by whiggs »

To uvk developers,
I would like to recommend a fix for UVK repair. Note that this fix is only applicable to Windows 10 Creators update release. I discovered that running "Dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth" would fail on the aforementioned operating system. No matter if it was run on a brand new os, no matter if the install media install wim was specified as the source, no matter what, the command would fail. You might ask yourself why this is. for the answer, look no further than Tweaking.com's Windows AIO repair tool. When running the pre-scan, the log outputs the following information concerning the Windows package files:
Scanning Windows Packages Files.
│ Started at (5/8/2017 12:55:25 PM)

│ These Files Are Possibly Corrupt (Bad Digital Signature): (Total: 1)
C:\Windows\servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-TestRoot-and-FlightSigning-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.15063.0.mum

1 Combined Problems were found with the packages files, these files need to be replaced (These mainly only effect installing Windows Updates.)
│ The SFC (System File Checker) doesn't scan and replace some of these files, so you may need to replace them manually.

In other words, the creator's update for Windows 10 (laughably the latest "Stable" release of Windows 10) is broken right out of the box. The whole creator's update release has been a complete disaster in all honesty... Anyway, there is a fix for it, and it was a bitch to find, believe me. But the fix can be found here:
http://borncity.com/win/2017/04/26/wind ... mment-1215

The solution: Just delete the references to the corrupt package file from the Windows registry. There are a total of 4 registry keys: 2 are located in both
"[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\PackageIndex" and
"[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\Packages". You will want to delete the two registry keys which contain the name of the corrupt package file: "Microsoft-Windows-TestRoot-and-FlightSigning-Package". You will have to edit the key permissions in order to do this, as you do not have the permissions by default. Once you delete those keys, then navigate to "C:\Windows\servicing\packages" and either move or delete the 4 files which also contain (and begin with) "Microsoft-Windows-TestRoot-and-FlightSigning-Package". Then, run the scan again and it will continue to completion (at least as long as nothing else is wrong). blog post can be found here:
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Recommend fix to add to uvk

Post by Fred »

I will add that fix to the next update. Thanks for the request, Whiggs.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

whiggs, I was working on this fix, and when I ran Dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth it completed successfully.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (44.79 KiB) Viewed 5196 times
I was wondering if Microsoft has launched an update to fix this, or maybe the problem is localized (only happening in a specific language package)? In either case, I don't think I should make UVK delete those keys and files if we are not sure they are corrupted.

I could make a fix that checks for the integrity of the files, and delete the corrupted ones, along with the corresponding registry references.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

whiggs, just a FYI, the SFC scan also completed successfully in the same computer. If the issue is happening to you in fresh Windows installations, you should consider updating your install media image with the Windows 10 install media creator. There may be a more recent version that already has fixed the issue.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (57.19 KiB) Viewed 5194 times
I just tested in a second machine, and both operations completed successfully without the need to delete any files or registry keys.

Fred
whiggs

Post by whiggs »

So it appears that Microsoft has finally gotten around to fixing the issue. It had been an issue for months and even confirmed that it was not just me, but Microsoft finally got around to it. Mine is working now as well. Disregard this post.