SR: "update windows" not stopping

Use this forum to report bugs you find in the software.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
Xander

SR: "update windows" not stopping

Post by Xander »

Recently added it into my usual UVKSR set. I'm sure it's doing something but there's not really any way to be sure so I've ended up cancelling it. On the PC in front of me, I hit "cancel current" 10 mins ago but it's not cancelling. [EDIT: After ~30 minutes, the cancellation finally happened]

Assuming it's not locked up, could you add some on-screen info? Maybe the black tooltip could show which update is currently being installed? Maybe a timeout on the search, too?
Charger440

Re: SR: "update windows" not stopping

Post by Charger440 »

Xander

I agree. I can not confirm that it has ever worked. I've tried to use that feature twice and just wound up waiting on a Busy cursor for long periods of time.
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Fred
Site Admin

Re: SR: "update windows" not stopping

Post by Fred »

There are three synchronous operations: Search for, download and install updates. The whole operation can only be cancelled between each of those. This means that, if there are no updates available, the whole operation can not be cancelled. I could forcefully end the thread, but I fear that could harm the system if it was in the installing phase.

It is possible to make the operation asynchronous, but it requires a lot of code. I'll do it when I have the time.

Currently, the only information I can display is whether it is searching, downloading or installing. But I can ensure that it is working, otherwise the operation would end immediately. And it has already installed a few updates for me.

Searching for updates can be lengthy, especially on Windows 7
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred