New UAK

Use this forum to report bugs you find in the software.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
Charger440

New UAK

Post by Charger440 »

Since the new Spyware section of UAK came out I have only had it complete the scan a couple times. Most of the time it Just stays scanning "forever."

Anyone else having this issue as well or am the lucky one?
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Fred
Site Admin

Re: New UAK

Post by Fred »

I would like to know if someone else is having this issue too.

The malware scan uses some internet resources when available, such as the VirusTotal services. It also reports infected hashes to this server so they are added to the definitions, and can be detected offline. Only the MD5 hash is sent, privacy is not affected.

So the speed of the scan depends on the Internet connection speed, the hard drive's speed, and the AV installed (some AVs block the applications more than others).

In my dev laptop which has an SSD and AV disabled the whole scan takes less than one minute. I have a VDSL Internet landline, and my bandwidth is about 27 Mb/s download speed and 7 Mb/s upload speed. Machines with HDDs and AV usually take from 2 up to 10 minutes to scan, depending on many factors.

Jim, you can try temporarily disabling the Internet connection and/or the Antivirus software prior to the scan, in order to detect what is causing the issue.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
reggaemanu

Post by reggaemanu »

I had that problem on several machines (I had to kill uvk and restart it) but not while scanning, I think that was cleaning (well, I'm not so sure right now, maybe it was while scanning).
On those machines I can't use uak, if I restart a scan it does the same
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred

The reason I posted to see if of anyone else had the issue was because that part of the scan was going 3 hours when I left the office and is prolly still going.

Your scan sounds similar in finality to herd protect which had never taken anywhere near as long as uak malware takes.
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Xander

Post by Xander »

Just fired up UAK (5.3.0.0 for the record) on my own machine and, even though it successfully syncs the whitelist, it fails to update the database.
Ran it on the fresh-install of Win7 on my bench and it started up fine, ran quickly up to the malware scan and then that phase took just over a minute to complete.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Xander, in your machine, please try this:

Launch UVK, press Tools and tweaks, then select the File tools tab.

In the Unlock a locked folder group, enter the following path:

%ProgramData%\UVK

Press Unlock folder once, and after the operation completes, press again.

Let me know if it loads the database now.

It seems there has been a previous version that locked UVK's appdata folder. Don't know which one, though. So if you guys find this issue, you know what to do.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Yep, Database loads after unlocking %ProgramData%\UVK.
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Xander

Post by Xander »

That worked, Fred. I usually let UVK uninstall on my system. I just uninstalled it again with the "%ProgramData%\UVK" folder open and saw that none of its contents were removed. I even re-ran it and check "delete logs" and, instead of deleting the rest of the contents, it added a Logs folder. Might be notable that, even after unlocking that folder, the subfolders still require Admin permission to access. So I force-deleted the whole thing and let UVK recreate it from scratch. Uninstalling after closing still left the folder itself, a Defaults and UAK folder and, after closing, saved the .ico file to that location.

Is this by design? Shouldn't asking UVK to uninstall do more cleanup?
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Xander, thanks for looking up that. I need to make some checks to the current uninstaller function. Normally, if you choose to perform a clean uninstall, that folder should be deleted. Otherwise, no, because it contains the application backups and other stuff that remains for future use. The same happens with the HKLM\SOFTWARE\UVK - Ultra virus killer backups registry key.

Fred