Reports by FTP

Use this forum to report bugs you find in the software.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
Charger440

Reports by FTP

Post by Charger440 »

I'm not sure if this is a bug. I guess it kinda is but it's also a request for a better way. FTP reports used to fail to send on me but I would disable what ever crappy AV they were using and it would work fine. However, for the last few versions on a regular basis, not even doing that would help. I would wind up emailing them then using FTP on my own box to upload them just so I didn't' have to mess with the computer I was trying to send from. Back a few months ago it wasn't a big deal because it rarely happened but now it happens so often that I don't have time to troubleshoot each one and find out why.

Is there a better way of doing this you think? Is there something that has changed? I'm kind of at a loss for what to do about it.
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Reports by FTP

Post by Fred »

Hi Jim.

I'm not sure of what to say. I just tested it, it works fine for me. Is someone else having this issue?

Do you know you can set the FTP port number? Like this: servername.com:2121

Maybe your server requires FTP through SSL? try choosing the FTPS option.

Also try enabling/disabling Passive FTP.

From my side, I will look closely at the FTP uploading function, to see if it can be improved.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
reggaemanu

Post by reggaemanu »

Fred wrote:Is someone else having this issue?
Works fine for me
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Now that I have time to explain this a little better. I'll see if I can help understand what is going on.

I can't change the port as I am on a shared server. My server does not do SSL FTP that I am aware of and I have tried passive FTP.

This used to happen occasionally and I would mess with it and eventually get it to work but it's happening more frequently on random boxes that I don't have time to argue with each box about why it refuses to allow the connection to be made.

In order to help you out I can take more time and dig into each incident and try to figure out the root cause so maybe a better solution can be found that way.
Jim

Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Ok, I am back to this again. today I have had 2 computers that will not send reports by FTP. It errors out with the "Can't connect to server" error. These two computers did not have AV or MBAM running at the time. They had application firewall exceptions. I pinged the FTP server and of coarse it was reachable. I spend enough time fixing the issues on the computer, I don't have time to gamble on which computers will send the reports and which ones won't. Is there not a better a solution for this? Changing port number is not an option and it shouldn't have to be...
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Hi Jim. I'm sorry to know you're still having this issue.

The only option to this would be to send the data through HTTP, but that would complicate things instead, because it would require you to add a php script to your server, and also it would be unsecure as everyone would be able to send ZIP files to your server if they knew about it.

Today I though of something that may be causing this: Connection timeout. Does it take a while before it errors out? If that is the case, it should be fixed in the next update.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Time frames are relative but it takes about 10 seconds which is not a long time but in computer speed, that is a "while."
Jim

Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred,

I'm not sure if a connection timeout would cause that but I guess it could. Sometimes when I load my website it takes a "minute" to load but I don't recall ever having an issue with FTP.. I guess it would not hurt to increase the time out length and see if that helps.
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Jim,

The only difference between a FTP connection to a server and a HTTP one is the port number. If your server occasionally takes one minute to connect to port 80 I guess the same happens with port 21.

Yesterday I increased the connect timeout to 30 seconds. I can increase it to more than one minute, but I think you should contact your hosting company about this issue. One minute is definitely very long.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

I'm not sure how long it thinks because I'm always in a hurry when it does it. You know how that is. It always seems like it takes longer when you are in a hurry.
Jim

Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred

You will be glad to know I finally found the issue with the FTP errors. it was NOT your coding at all.

It seems as though my host has started randomly accepting my log in. So I'll have to deal with that issue.
Jim