Stop Windows 10 Anniversary Update

This forum is intended for computer technicians only. Post IT related topics here.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
wmmiller

Re: Stop Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Post by wmmiller »

:lol: True statement.
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred wrote:A company's machine with Home edition? Odd...

You're right about the solution in your second post. I hadn't read it, and I didn't know about that troubleshooter. I can add it to TTS so it will be easier for you to run it in each machine, when the time comes.

As for the Group policy editor, you don't need it for this. policies are also saved to the registry, so we can just use the registry version. I exported the policies to a reg file that you can use. To enable deferring feature updates, merge DeferFeatureUpdates.reg. To disable, merge UndoDeferUpdates.reg.
DeferUpgrades.zip

At least it will buy you some time until you're more available to take care of it. Maybe they will decide to upgrade the software or something in the meantime. Hope it helps.
See, this is why Fred is the awesomest :)
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Thanks, Jim, you're nice. If only my wife shared the same opinion... :)

I did add the trouble shooter to TTS and released an update. You probably should make the computer search for updates before running the troubleshooter.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
falken

Post by falken »

Fred wrote:A company's machine with Home edition? Odd...
To enable deferring feature updates, merge DeferFeatureUpdates.reg. To disable, merge UndoDeferUpdates.reg.
DeferUpgrades.zip
hi Fred, tnx for this; I saw some advices using registry in \AU subkey (NoAutoUpdate) but those probably stop ALL updates, or not? so reviewing whats in your regfile seems to just OK - kindly please, where are such details about whole update/upgrade registry keys and process described? do you have link? I like to scan over whole big picture too. And this IS terrible to have lost control what is going on under our hands :-(

again, BIG tnx!!
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Hi falken.

This is the official MSDN guide for setting policies directly in the registry:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms815238.aspx

However, that guide is not up to date, and you'll not find this info there. I got it by setting the policies using the Group Policy Editor, which automatically sets them in the registry, and then check the registry for the changes.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred