Cloud command line switch automatic sync

Do you know of a feature that UVK should have? Post it here!
ajgyomber

Cloud command line switch automatic sync

Post by ajgyomber »

We run UVK from a network share for PC prep. We would like the portable version to immediately download the cloud settings, whitelists and scripts when launching the program. Is that possible?

Thanks,
AJ
Charger440

Re: Cloud command line switch automatic sync

Post by Charger440 »

I've wondered this myself, but Fred spends so much time on UVK and I really would like some of the other stuff that is planned so I had not asked about since I was prioritizing what I wanted to see.
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Xander

Post by Xander »

Doesn't UVK draw those settings from the UVKSettings.ini? I use the Portable from my NAS as well and I just keep that file in the same folder. My understanding was that if those files are present in the launch folder, they get used. Maybe Fred could confirm that.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

You're right, Xander. In fact, if you work from a local drive or a NAS, you don't need cloudsync at all.

You just need to place your default files in their corresponding directory as explained in the help page, and they are automatically loaded and updated at runtime. Another benefit is that this doesn't need an active internet connection. It is also much faster loading.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Xander

Post by Xander »

Thanks for the confirmation, Fred. I like the sync regardless as, every now and then, I get a PC that refuses to see the NAS and I'd rather deal with other problems first so run UVK from a flash drive. It's just comforting to know that all the settings sync up regardless of how and where I'm running it.
ajgyomber

Post by ajgyomber »

We only sometimes work from the NAS drive. Here is the scenario I am thinking:

Technician in the field adds a few programs to the SmartUninstaller blacklist. It gets uploaded to the cloud.

We then run a local copy of UVK from our NAS using a batch file with something like this:

pushd %~dp0
UVKSetup.exe -Silent -NoRun -NoRP -NoDShct -NoCMenu -NoAU -NoRun
"C:\Program Files\UVK - Ultra Virus Killer\UVK_en.exe" -Update
"C:\Program Files\UVK - Ultra Virus Killer\UVK_en.exe" -ReadFile "\\readynaspro\netcare\UVK\PCPrep.uvk" -Auto
popd

We want it to install, update and run our scrip then uninstall. In that scenario, we are NOT getting the latest whitelist/blacklist information saved in the cloud.

Am I missing something?

--AJ
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

AJ, I see where that comes in handy. It even fixes the double password prompt issue.

As said before, you need to setup cloudsync once in one machine, and then export the settings, whitelists and scripts to the same directory where UVKSetup is, as explained in the help page.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Xander

Post by Xander »

AJ, any reason you're not just using the Portable version if you're uninstalling at the end anyway? Just wondering.