UVK Portable and Configure immunization icon when uninstalling

You need help to start using UVK? You have a doubt on a UVK feature? Post here!
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
shifflav

UVK Portable and Configure immunization icon when uninstalling

Post by shifflav »

Is there any way to stop the UVKPortable.exe from creating the 'Configure immunization' icon on the desktop when I close out of it and uninstall it? Usually, when something is uninstalled, nothing is left behind. I'm constantly having to delete this icon off the desktop. It'd be nice to at least have a way to disable that option.
Fred
Site Admin

Re: UVK Portable and Configure immunization icon when uninstalling

Post by Fred »

Hi shifflav. I moved this topic to the Help and support forum because it's not a feature request. It's more a feature un-request. Please do not post in the Feature requests forum unless you are really requesting a globally useful feature you are sure it hasn't been implemented yet. More information can be found in the the How to request features topic.

The Configure Immunization icon was, itself, a feature requested long ago. The icon is created ONLY if you setup either the System Immunization or the Execute Prevent features. It's intended to allow the user to quickly disable those features if they are causing issues, such as preventing applications from installing. This way, any user, experienced or not, can quickly (temporarily or permanently) disable the System Immunization or Execute Prevent, without the need to re-install the application.
Usually, when something is uninstalled, nothing is left behind.
This is an interesting remark. I totally agree, and that is why UVK has a clean uninstall feature. However, how can you expect a functionality such as the System Immunization or Execute Prevent to remain working after you uninstall the application, if you remove the application completely, leaving nothing behind?

If you uninstall UVK from the Add/remove programs control panel applet, or from UVK's Smart Uninstaller, it will ask you if you want to perform a clean uninstall. That prompt is not shown up in UVKPortable's uninstall prompt. But if you perform a clean uninstall, any immunized areas or Execute prevent paths will be removed, so it is the same as if you hadn't setup the System Immunization or Execute Prevent in the first place.

This being said, and to answer your question, yes, there are ways to stop the UVKPortable.exe from creating the 'Configure immunization' icon on the desktop: Not using the System Immunization nor Execute Prevent, or performing a clean uninstall.

I could also add an option to not to create the icon upon uninstall, but it is not recommended, because the icon also serves as a reminder that some of the functionality remains installed.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
shifflav

Post by shifflav »

Hi Fred,

Thanks for the quick response and I apologize if I put the question in the wrong forum.

I totally understand that an icon should be created if I were to set up the System Immunization features or set up Execute Prevent. That makes perfect sense.

However, you said: "The icon is created ONLY if you setup either the System Immunization or the Execute Prevent features." However, I didn't change any settings at all. If I download a fresh copy of UVK Portable from the website, open it, close it immediately...I get the 'Configure Immunization' icon.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Ok, that should not happen.

To be more precise, the desktop icon is created if one of the following conditions meet:
  1. The HKLM\SOFTWARE\UVK - Ultra virus killer\Immunization key contains...
    • A non-empty string value named Immunized.
    • A non-zero DWORD value named DefaultAppsProtected.
  2. The HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\safer\codeidentifiers\0\Paths key contains more than 2 subkeys.
You can check those keys out before uninstalling UVKPortable and determine what exactly is the reason why the icon is created.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
shifflav

Post by shifflav »

Ok... (HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\safer\codeidentifiers\0\Paths) does have multiple subkeys.

After doing some additional testing, it seems that this is only happening on computers that I've installed Foolish IT's CryptoPrevent software on. UVK must somehow detect that as having 'Execute Prevent' on and then leaves the Immunization icon behind.

That makes sense...
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

That did cross my mind. Now, I don't know about you, but I would not leave all those blocked paths behind knowing an average user would not know how to disable them if some program does not work.

Fred
shifflav

Post by shifflav »

Ok...thanks for the suggestion. Just out of curiosity, how does UVK's Immunization compare to Foolish IT's CryptoPrevent? Is one better or recommended more than the other?
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

shifflav I never used CryptoPrevent, so I couldn't tell. From what I read, CryptoPrevent only does the Execute prevent part, not the immunization part, so i'd say UVK's immunization + execute prevent has a greater security.

I also read up that CryptoPrevent sets up more than 200 policies, while execute prevent only sets 20-40. That makes me think they do not work exactly the same way, so I guess I'd need to try them both in order to give you a fair, neutral answer.

Maybe someone who has used both will chime up and tell you more about it.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Shifflav

By that "guys" own words, Cryptoprevent does use a TON of policies. It has been quite some time since I used it so I just installed it again. Of particular note, it is coded in VB6 and not C++ like Fred's is. So the "active" part of cryptoprevent is not very reliable because of the use of VB6. Now, to be fair, that guy, is working on a new version of CP but I have no idea it if will be updated to a technology from this century or not.

Another thing I noticed, and it's mainly because of the use of VB6, CP uses atleast one actixeX control to do some of it's work. This is also a weakness as a crafty coder could write a bug to intercept communication with said activeX control rendering that part of CP useless. I have always considered Fred's EP to be superior to CP myself.

As far as the icon on the desktop, I was one of the major pushers for that feature. I have learned the hard way that EP WILL PREVENT teamviewer, Simplehelp, Java, flash, itunes, and others from installing or updating. Fred and I have talked a few times about it preventing the common programs and Fred thinks that allowing them by default could be a security risk as malware could imitate those softwares. As much as I wish Fred would default these programs for simplicity, I also understand where he is coming from. It's one of the minor things I don't like about EP but for over all security, I will agree with Fred.
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

I like EP like it is. Since I put it on my wife’s computer, she hasn’t jacked it up once installing stuff. I have to help her out sometimes (iTunes) but it has really worked out for the best for her and it reminds me to check up on her computer. I do admit she has become really good at backing out of installs she’s not sure of. She used to get stuff installed with no idea how it happened.
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Muhammad Tasneem

Post by Muhammad Tasneem »

Sorry for jumping in the post....

Just an option,
if we add an entry or icon in start menu instead of the icon on desktop!!!!

or

If we add an option to choose:
1- Add entry in atart menu.
2- Icon on desktop.
3- Both, (Entry in start menu and icon on desktop).

like Start menu --> %BrandedToolsName% Execute Prevent ---> Configure Immunization
Xander

Post by Xander »

Actually, I'd prefer a Start Menu icon over a desktop one.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

I'm not opposed to another option but for simplicity, I like the icon on the desktop. It makes it easier for end users to find it.
Jim

Muhammad Tasneem

Xander wrote:Actually, I'd prefer a Start Menu icon over a desktop one.
Charger440 wrote:I'm not opposed to another option but for simplicity, I like the icon on the desktop. It makes it easier for end users to find it.
Two people, two options.... ;)
Thats why I give three option solution :lol:
Xander

Post by Xander »

Exactly. All it takes is one checkbox in the Options section. I don't use the Immunization so it's moot to me anyway -- I don't want to be doing free tech support for some guy I serviced 8 months ago just because he's having trouble installing a poker game now.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Xander, then don't. That falls under the category of you taking your car to stop and the guy tightens two bolts and traps it with a hammer. You say I could have done that myself and the guy says well, why didn't you? It's up to you whether you do free work or not, not EP, UVK or Fred.
Jim

Xander

Post by Xander »

If a tech is the one putting limitations on what can and can't be run on a client's system, that tech is responsible for followup questions. A tech can't drop something like UVKimmunize or CryptoPrevent on someone's PC and expect the client to pay for problems arising because of that. That would be a very shady business practice so I simply set up neither myself nor my client for that kind of problem.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

EP or that crappy CP is not put on the computer with the intention of "forcing future business." It is put on there for the intention of PREVENTING issues down the road. On every computer that I work on, I take the time to explain this to the customer and show them how it works. I also explain which legit programs I know it will block and how to disable it. And yes, for "grandma," that can't comprehend how click anything but cards, I do conduct free support occasionally. I consider it more of a disservice to not use EP knowing it can and prevent the encryption of all the files they didn't backup.
Jim

Muhammad Tasneem

Again Jumping in between :) ...!!!

Actually both are correct in there environment .....
Xander style... 2 + 2 = 4 ... No more, No less :)
Jim Style ...... 2 + 2 = 4... I will help you if you need to prove :)
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Muhammad
Jim Style ...... 2 + 2 = 4... I will help you if you need to prove :)
Not sure what you mean. I was just pointing out that according to Xanders logic, EP or CP are useless. There is no point in taking a couple min out to explain to somehow to disable it so they can install their new solitaire game but it's ok to try to unlock the computer after a "microsoft" buy has talked them in to letting them into the computer. Especially when you consider EP would have prevented this. Not sure about CP but I know EP would have. Also, a side effect of that would be that you just saved your customer potentially hundreds of dollars because the "Microsoft" person couldn't get in. So, yes, it is worth taking the time to use EP or CP and explaining to the customer how they work and why they are on there.
Jim