URL’s opened in the favorites folder don’t work as they should

You need help to start using UVK? You have a doubt on a UVK feature? Post here!
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
wmmiller

URL’s opened in the favorites folder don’t work as they should

Post by wmmiller »

On a clean install of Windows 10 Professional 64bit URL’s opened in the favorites folder don’t work as they should but will open if it on the desktop or basically anywhere but the favorites folder. I’m feeling a little dumb here but I don’t understand what’s going on. :oops: I’ve tried many fixes but I guess I don’t know what I’m doing. This did happen once before this last spring but I can’t remember for the life of me how I fixed it. I could use some advice please.

Bill
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (18.7 KiB) Viewed 5470 times
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Fred
Site Admin

Re: URL’s opened in the favorites folder don’t work as they should

Post by Fred »

Hi Bill. I remember that we had to unlock the Favorites folder once using UVK's folder unlocking feature. It's now in the File tools tab of the Tools and tweaks section.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

I checked out in my laptop, and they were behaving the same way. Here's how I managed to get them working:

I copied all the internet shortcuts in the Favorites folder to the desktop folder (copy, not move).
I moved the copies back to the Favorites folder by drag & drop, overwriting the originals.
They now work. Repeat the process for the shortcuts in sub-folders.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Hi Fred,

I did try to unlock that folder earlier and again just now after you brought it up. That didn’t fix it. It seems that it definitely has something to do with that folder because if I copy a URL from the favorite’s folder to the desktop it works. Its only by chance I discovered this issue. I tried DISM, check disk, SFC scan as well as many other reset and fixes. Any other thoughts or should I try a windows repair?

Your right. We did have to unlock it once before because at that time it wouldn’t let me save anything to favorites.

I just tried as you explained and that did not work for me. I wonder if this has something to do with the anniversary update. This is a clean install that was updated to the anniversary update right after being installed.
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

I forgot. Did you get this when you copied them to the desktop?
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (10.8 KiB) Viewed 5461 times
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

I don’t understand why but I did as you said but this second time I copied them to another hard drive and then drug them back and now they are working. I wish I had an understanding of why though. Thank you for your help Fred. :D
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

After a reboot I’m back to where I started. :cry:
reggaemanu

Post by reggaemanu »

If your talking about favorites folder I guess you're using/talking about IE ? did you moved your favorites folder or is it in your profile dir ?
I never had this issue (but I never used IE or edge...) but I can try to reproduce it
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Nope. I didn’t move the folder and it is still in the profile directory. And yes, I am using IE11. I find it odd that Fred said his laptop was doing the same but he fixed his very easily. I have run every fix in UVK and Windows Repair Pro without any change. I’m close to just breaking out a clone from 05-28-2016 and then reinstalling the anniversary update just to see if that’s what’s breaking things.
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Update: Here is what seems to have fixed this issue. I copied the favorite’s folder from the user directory of another Windows 10 64 bit machine and replaced the favorite’s folder with it. Then I have to take each URL in the old folder and open it, send a shortcut to the desktop, then cut and paste the new desktop shortcut into the new favorite’s folder that was transferred from the other machine. What a pain. :roll:
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

I think this has something to do with Microsoft forcing edge on us. Everything works fine until until IE is set as default.
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Broken again. Turns out I have two machines that have this issue. Restored back a ways and all works. Something has to have changed with an update I think.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Bill, are the favorite links broken for you if you try to access them from IE's favorite button too?

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

They do work if I access thru IE's favorite button. (Star in the upper right corner of an IE web page.)
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Thanks. I had not run across those threads. I will have try one of those suggestions and see what happens. It really pisses me off. It seems like every fricking windows update breaks something. :twisted:
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

This works to fix what’s in the folder already, but needs to be run every time there is a new link added. I may need to read the whole thread below to see if someone found something that will stick.

I've run into this problem on 2 Windows 7 machines today. Fortunately, it is easy to remedy. Open an Administrator command prompt and type in the following commands:

1.PUSHD C:\Users\user_name\Favorites
2.ICACLS *.URL /L /T /SETINTEGRITYLEVEL MED

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 1b89860dac

Edit: Resetting IE breaks it and the below commands need to be run again.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Did that work for you, Bill?

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Sorry Fred. I forgot to get back to you earlier. It kind of woks. But any new links added to favorites won’t work unless those commands are run again. Also, if IE is reset it breaks and those commands have to be run again.