System Info causes crash in Windows 10

Use this forum to report bugs you find in the software.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
virtualnetwork

System Info causes crash in Windows 10

Post by virtualnetwork »

When selecting System Info from the Home menu in v.9.6.0.0, Windows will terminate UVK with an error message. This only seems to occur in Windows 10. No problem running System Info in Windows 7 or XP.
wmmiller

Re: System Info causes crash in Windows 10

Post by wmmiller »

Just an FYI: I’m not seeing that issue using Windows 10 64 bit with v.9.6.0.0
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Hi virtualnetwork. Thanks for the report.

Will you have access to that computer today? I would like to send you a debug build for you to run there, which will tell me more precisely what part of the code is causing the crash.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

virtualnetwork, just FYI, the reason I asked if you will have access to that computer today is that someone reported that issue a while ago, while the C++ UVK was still beta, but I never managed to reproduce it.

I tested in every windows version and it never crashed. So I figured it was probably specific to some hardware, or related to some setting.

So, if now we have a machine where we can reproduce the issue, we'll probably be able to fix it, and we may not have another chance like this in a long time.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
reggaemanu

Post by reggaemanu »

I had the same thing on one computer yesterday.
Sending report didn't add system info so I clicked manually on "add system info html log" in send reports dialog and it crashed. I restarted uvk and retry and it crashed, I restarted uvk and clicked on system info section and it crached. Then I gave up :D
I no longer have that computer.
It was a windows 10 64bits acer laptop. That's all I can say about the hardware sorry :/
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Hi Fred,

Did you mean to ask “virtualnetwork” about access to the computer having the trouble?
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

virtualnetwork, I would like you to run this debug build in that machine, if it's not too much trouble.

If you can do that, here's what you have to do:

Download this UVK_en.zip to the affected computer.
UVK_en.zip
(934.56 KiB) Downloaded 229 times
Extract UVK_en.exe from the zip to UVK's directory, overwriting the existing EXE.

Run the extracted UVK_en.exe, and go to the System Info section. The application will probably crash again.

A text file will be created in your desktop folder named "UVK_debug.txt". Please post it in your reply.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

I'm confused....

Virtualbetwork said he had the issue and Bill said he did not. How would it help you to run the debug with Bill unless you suspect some issue, changed your code accordingly and hope it actually does crash on Bill's computer.

Or did I miss something?
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

:lol: No wonder you're all confused... I thought Bill was the OP!!! And even after his first question, I didn't realize my mistake!!! I guess my brain is working with wet charcoal today. :lol: :lol:

Sorry about that, Bill. I'm going to edit my posts to reflect they were destined to virtualnetwork.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

It's OK Fred, I have them days too :)

:lol:
Jim

virtualnetwork

Post by virtualnetwork »

Hi Fred,
I ran the extracted UVK_en.exe from the UVK directory and it crashed again as you predicted. But the file UVK_debug.txt was not created on the desktop or any other folder.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Thank you for your cooperation, virtualnetwork. That means the crash takes place before the updateSIInthread() function. I will make another debug build and post back soon.

Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

virtualnetwork, here's a new zip. This time it contains both UVK_en.exe and UVK_en64.exe. The last time I wrongly assumed the machine was 32-bit. Another result of my confusion.

You will need to extract both files to UVK's install dir. Run UVK_en.exe regradless of the Windows architecture.
debug.zip
(1.92 MiB) Downloaded 190 times
Thanks again for your help.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

This reminds me of “Bert and the Missing Mop Mix-Up” :lol:
virtualnetwork

Post by virtualnetwork »

Glad to help :)
Yes it's 64-bit. I extracted both files and ran UVK_en.exe. UVK_debug appeared on the desktop, and it contains:

Debug break point 1

I also ran an earlier version of UVKPortable, v.7.7.2.0, on the same Windows 10 machine and it did not crash when running System Info.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Virtualnetwork, if Fred did what I think he did, that was right before a function and just a marker for what to look for. He may have you debug further in that function or it may be a simple function.
Jim

virtualnetwork

Post by virtualnetwork »

You're probably right, Charger440. It's early in the debugging process, and Fred could set up additional breakpoints to track down the source of the error.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

You guys are right. That is exactly what I'm doing. We're getting closer to catch the culprit, but we may need a couple of runs more. Sorry about the lengthy process, but since I can not reproduce the bug myself, and I can not find the bug in the code, I don't see any better way.

Here's a new zip:
debug.zip
(1.92 MiB) Downloaded 209 times
This one has a few more break points, and I fixed a small bug, don't think it is the culprit, though.

Fred
virtualnetwork

Post by virtualnetwork »

Thanks Fred. Here's the content of the next UVK_debug:

Debug break point 1
Debug break point 2
Debug break point 3
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

OK, now we know the crash happens when my _GetSMBiosInfo() function is called. It has about 230 lines of code, and also calls other functions, so I put 19 debug break points in there. Not all of them will show up, because some parts of the function are only executed in some systems.

So, here's the new zip:
debug.zip
(1.92 MiB) Downloaded 194 times
Thanks again for your help.

Fred