Fairly clean install (VM) - "cleaning junk" running for almost two hours

Use this forum to report bugs you find in the software.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
Xander

Fairly clean install (VM) - "cleaning junk" running for almost two hours

Post by Xander »

This is a simple VM with practically nothing on it; barely used. I installed a program that I know would take over the browser search options and running UVK to do the cleanup. 9.5.5 has been running the cleanup for <2 hours now. To make matters worse, the Cancel buttons are greyed out so that's not even an option.
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Fairly clean install (VM) - "cleaning junk" running for almost two hours

Post by Fred »

Thanks Xander. I'll check it out now.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Xander

Post by Xander »

3 hours and I finally hit the Red-X which, surprisingly, didn't kill the process but stopped the cleanup, opened up Reports (nowhere near the next step in the SR) and then let me go back to Home. Side note: backing up the registry also took a very long time (I think 15 mins?) but eventually moved on.

The tooltip from the cleanup hasn't cleared, still saying "Browser cache couldn't be emptied" and pointing to where the window had been. Maybe reset any tooltips when it goes to Home?
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

So it actually hanged while cleaning up junk files, or the browsers cache?
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Xander

Post by Xander »

It was sitting at cleaning junk but the tooltip was about the browser cache. Went to re-run those steps with just those ones checked off (backup reg, empty all users, empty browsers, cleanup junk) and the reg backup has gone non-responding right off the bat.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Have you seen this happen before, or is it the first time?

Fred
Xander

Post by Xander »

Previous info was from VM. Problem is I don't usually watch these steps but I'm only just using 9.5.5 in production in the last day or so. Just did a clean install of Win7 on a desktop here and %temp% has a single file on it. Running the same ones I just mention checking off above and, while "cleaning up the junk", the tooltip is saying it couldn't clean the browser cache. (Edit: but the Cancel buttons aren't greyed out) Meanwhile %temp% has one file on it and the cleanup has been running 10 minutes now.
Last edited by Xander on Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xander

Post by Xander »

The nice thing about the current version is that I can actually type in the "cleaning up" text area to mark the time.

Here's a shot of it. Tooltip of failed cleanup, doing junk files for almost two hours.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Here is what I have to add to this conversation.....

This dialog has been going for quite some time on a fresh install of Windows 10
Attachments
955 too long.png
955 too long.png (344.07 KiB) Viewed 3353 times
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Is the popup information window causing problems? If so, we already have the old status window in the repair section so that popup window is kind of redundant.
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Jim,

No, there was a bug in the automatic junk cleanup feature. It'll be fixed in the next beta.

Thank you both for your help.

Fred