RMM possibilities?

Use this forum to discuss about anything you want, post announcements and informational topics.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
Xander

RMM possibilities?

Post by Xander »

I'm sure Fred has plenty on his plate but good programmers are few and far between.

I've been using Comodo One as an RMM for the last several months and, while it's not bad, it's still got a lot to work on before I'd consider it a really good RMM option but then I thought about how little I'd really need -- basic monitoring and alerts, some scheduled tasks that will catch up if the PC is offline, and maybe some form of reporting when things go wrong (or maybe monthly reports that everything's gone right). If it were UVK-based, it could do auto-uninstalls of blacklisted software and system boosting, etc.

Fred, have you given any thought to something like this. The "other software" had something akin to this but it was a mess to set up and manage.
Charger440

Re: RMM possibilities?

Post by Charger440 »

First off, Fred, are you and the family OK? I know there was a significant earthquake near you.

Xander and I have not been collaborating on this and as far as I know he don't know I've asked you about it few times. It does seem that we agree on this one. I know you are focusing on C++ UVK and I think that is an awesome way to lay the ground work for an RMM. I know there are lots of RMM packages out there, trust me, I have demoed most of them that was even remotely affordable to me. They all have at least 3 things in common.

1) They are expensive. Most have a $250 a month minimum, some even higher than that and still others want you to pay a fee in order to pay them the monthly price.

2) They are not starter/small area friendly. The population of the county I live in is less than mid sized cities. Therefore, the businesses I deal with are smaller and are less able to fork out big dollars.

3) They didn't start from a repair/maintenance perspective. For example, I have been testing Ninja and I wanted to modify a profile. In that profile I wanted to add some maintenance stuff. The choices were "Clean temp files" and "Empty DNS cache." Really? You write an RMM and that's all you can come up with? UVK does so much more than that and if the RMM was built around it, it could be awesome.

It is true, there are a lot of RMM tools but I really think if you build one around UVK it can be a real contender in the RMM market before long. You've already gotten a taste of the monthly payments that it could bring to you.

If you have questions or concerns, throw them out here. Xander is doing RMM. I sort of am but I am having real trouble finding a suitable tool and I have demoed several of them. We would be happy to discuss your fears or concerns, etc.
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Hey guys. Thanks for the suggestion.

Yes, this has already been asked, and yes, I plan to make a program that does remote monitoring, and it will be able to do much more than that.

However, it will probably be a separate tool, but it will use the same tech as UVK, obviously.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Xander

Post by Xander »

I think one thing to keep in mind is that most RMM is geared for corporate and I think most UVK users are doing residential/break-fix and that's been the majority of my RMM clients. It's a niche market that's got very little support. Most RMMs are charging a lot more than I could reasonably charge my elderly clients and I think Fred's pricing plans have been more than reasonable. So pairing some (not all) key UVK features with monitoring seems like a no-brainer.

So, shall we spitball about what features we might like to see? Maybe edit a list into the first post here as things come up?
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

I'm good with spit balling if Fred is OK with it and doesn't feel like we are trying to force him. I see it more of a way to understand where to start a project.
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Yeah, you can throw the suggestions in. I'll take some notes for when I start coding.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Discussion thread has been moved to a sticky topic here....

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1529
Jim