First Time User - Need some thoughts

Use this forum to discuss about anything you want, post announcements and informational topics.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
jwickliffe

First Time User - Need some thoughts

Post by jwickliffe »

This is my first time using UVK and I'm trying to see if I can use it as a D7II replacement.

I'd be interested in how others have done this and maybe you can help me out with your thoughts and suggestions.

In the'Run Scripts' section, I've managed to put together a pretty nice script that does most of what D7 does. UVK is *much* faster than D7II...awesome! However, I don't see any way to resume the script after a reboot. For example, if I have it run ADWcleaner, and it reboots, the script won't continue. I read an old forum post that a resume on reboot feature was added in 2014, but I can't find it anywhere.

I also looked at the Tech Tool Store as a D7 replacement, but it doesn't have options that UVK does as far as Resetting the browsers, creating System Restore points, etc. Also, it didn't resume either. My first attempt I got a message saying that it was closed and that it would re-check the boxes...it did not. The second attempt was a complete failure because the database was corrupted and wouldn't load and then the program would just close out. I had to completely delete the Tech Tool Store.

Thoughts?
reggaemanu

Re: First Time User - Need some thoughts

Post by reggaemanu »

I think what you're searching for is the "system repair" section of uvk, there you can automate what you want, include scripts, resetting browsers, etc... And it will continue after reboot....
jwickliffe

Post by jwickliffe »

I tried that, but it still doesn't start after a reboot. I used AutoRuns and saw the entry for RebootExec.exe to come up on startup, but it never ran.

I had to go into C:\Program Files\UVK - Ultra Virus Killer and run the ContinueRepair_username.uvksr file to get it to continue. I guess I can create a shortcut to that directory. It would be nice if I could create a shortcut to that file, but the filename changes depending on the username. I guess I could create a shortcut to:
"%programfiles%\UVK - Ultra Virus Killer\ContinueRepair_%username%.uvksr"

On my test computer, I'm running as a Limited User. I'm wondering if that's why the RebootExec.exe Startup didn't run?
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

jwickliffe

Glad to have you and let me just say that UVK is awesome! Sorry to toot Fred's horn for him LOL.

Anyway, to the issue at hand. UVK, if you are running a repair script is supposed to resume after a reboot. To be honest, this the one place Fred has struggled. He has tried different things but so far has not gotten something that works every time. Now, that being said, if UVK reboots during a script it adds a "continuerepair" entry into the startup folder that you can just click on and it continues from where it left off.

I was recently (in the last 6 months) given a license for d7ii and you know what I found out? After a couple years of "development" by Nick, d7ii is still not up to UVK standards. I quit using d7ii at least 18 months ago and have not looked back.

Maybe Fred should give the resume thing another look but he has scratched his head on it a few times.... not sure what to do about it.

Side note: Tech Tool Store is not intended to compete with d7. It is simple a very large collection of software and utilities that can be quite handy at times. The database issue is a known issue, just delete the database file and run TTS again. It will rebuild the database.
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
jwickliffe

Post by jwickliffe »

Charger440,

Thanks for your response and explanation. Regarding the resume, I'd be happy if UVK would just put a resume shortcut on the desktop. Then, it would be easy to find if the startup entry failed to load.

I too am a D7II user...hoping to dump it for something better. I think I'm well on my way. UVK is so much faster than D7II and runs more reliably. Also, D7II hasn't been updated in nearly a year now! They are more concerned with being YouTube stars and sit around talking about nonsense that nobody cares about. Even their appearance on the YouTube channel is pretty embarrassing...uncombed hair, sometimes dressed in their pajamas, and vaping...very unprofessional. I'm not sure what's happened with them. The Carifred folks are more professional. What I've seen from Fred's responses in the forums, is someone who cares about his customers and is patient and kind. There's a lot to be said for that.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Oh, don't get me started on Nick.......

Let's just say that Fred has WAY more class........

Not to mention, UVK is much better and getting better all the time.
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Hey guys. jwickliffe, welcome.

As already said, the startup shortcut for continuing the repair operation should work, and has always worked for me, but it seems like sometimes it doesn't.

I'll give it another look and see if I can make it work better, and also add the desktop shortcut.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Hello jwickliffe and welcome. I too am a defector and haven’t been back since. :D

Bill
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
jwickliffe

Post by jwickliffe »

I just saw latest update to UVK and the new desktop shortcut to continue the repair works great!

Thanks Fred!
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Jwickliffe

That is the kind of service that Fred provides and why I am happy to tell people I am on of his customers.

He really does listen to his people and their opinions do matter to him.
Jim