Popup dialogs

Do you know of a feature that UVK should have? Post it here!
Charger440

Popup dialogs

Post by Charger440 »

Fred

Since you are rewriting UVK, can we have the option to get rid of the popup dialog boxes?

I know they are placed there to get your attention but in all honesty I am getting tired of clicking so many "OK" buttons. If the function I performed did NOT work I don't mind having to click a button so I know it that is didn't work but if it did work, just write it a log file or status bar and move on.

I know there are people that like the dialogs because they get really busy and it makes them stop to look at whats going on. So those people probably like all the "OK" buttons it has now.

In the new version can we make dialog boxes an option. That way those of us that want to see them can and those that don't can turn them off and just get a message in the status bar of something indicating it's done?
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Popup dialogs

Post by Fred »

Hey Jim. That seems like a good idea. I'll see what I can come up with.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Jim, in the new C++ build, in the system repair section, the dialog boxes after the fixes are executed are not displayed if the operation succeeds. I intend to make this the default, that is only show a message box if an error occurs, but users can opt in to show all dialogs. Let me know if this works for you.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred

That sounds good to me. I was actually thinking about starting another conversation but getting rid of all information boxes and replacing them with labels or out something. The more I use the program the more I realize that I click on a lot of "OK" dialogs when all really want is an indicator that it worked out a dialog box explaining what and why if it didn't work.

However, as I said before, other people may like all those dialogs. Especially if their way of thinking the repair or remembering to come back to it.
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Jim, I don't like having to click all those dialogs just to say <<OK, I got it>> either, so I updated the UI of the C++ version to, in that case show a baloon tip instead. Baloon tips go away automatically so they shouldn't delay our work but they still deliver the desired information. Let me know what you think.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred as long as I don't have to click something that is just for information I am cool with what ever you come up with :)

However, if there really is an error, a dialog box with error details would be very helpful.
Jim