[fixed] windows 10 KB3163018 failed to install

This forum is intended for computer technicians only. Post IT related topics here.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
Fred
Site Admin

[fixed] windows 10 KB3163018 failed to install

Post by Fred »

I have a laptop with the issue described in the following Softpedia article:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/more-use ... 5312.shtml
Most often, the update fails to install, and the computer starts “undoing changes,” and this is the most frequent error message that users are getting not only when trying to deploy this update but any of the previous cumulative update that caused similar problems.

Read more: http://news.softpedia.com/news/more-use ... z4C69zBV5b
I could not find a way to make the update install successfully yet, so any suggestions are appreciated. I haven't tried all the UVK's related fixes yet.

If I figure it out, I'll post the solution here, of course.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Re: windows 10 KB3163018 failed to install

Post by Fred »

OK, I fixed the issue. Here's what worked for me:

1. Download Windows Update Troubleshooter.
2. Run it to reset Windows Update components.
3. Delete the contents of %WinDir%\SoftwareDistribution\Download
4. Using IE, download the standalone package from the Microsoft Update Catalog.
5. Install the downloaded package and reboot.

I also ran some UVK fixes, so I'm not sure exactly what fixed the issue, but in the end, this got it fixed.

Hope it helps someone.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
wmmiller

Re: [fixed] windows 10 KB3163018 failed to install

Post by wmmiller »

Thanks Fred, I haven’t seen it yet but this is good information to have. :)
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
reggaemanu

Post by reggaemanu »

I'm going nuts with this, I've the issue on a customer laptop since last week and i've tried all i've could find with no luck (it's a fresh new windows 10 install but that f*#**$g update won't pass :evil: )

[EDIT]Geez, I finally got it !!!

The problem was the system partition, I've seen some persons that fixed similar problems by resizing the system partition (100mb wasn't enough) so I've tried to resize it but it detected some errors. I fixed them with a chkdsk and resized the partition to 290MB. After that the update applied correctly.
I don't know if that was the size of the partition or the errors on it.
Last edited by reggaemanu on Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Manu, have you tried stopping the wauserv service before installing the standalone package of the update?

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

I didn’t realize or put two and two together when Fred posted this, but I did indeed have this issue on three of our own Windows 10 x64 computers. (Manu’s mention of resizing made it click) Two of our computers updated without issue but I had three others where resizing the system partition was the answer. If I remember correctly the system partitions were 300MB and I increased them to 500MB and then it installed like a glove. :D

Because of and article I had found online, I did try stopping the wauserv service before installing the standalone package of the update. It did not work.
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes