Here is a list.....

Do you know of a feature that UVK should have? Post it here!
Charger440

Here is a list.....

Post by Charger440 »

The following are things I would like to see added or changed. If you like them and have time of coarse :)

Reports:
  • Give error messages when FTP and email settings don't work instead of the generic "It failed"
  • Have it show the last time a report was sent so we don't double send if we get busy.
Execute Prevent:
  • Make "Use environment variables" a checkbox or something allow it to saved a default.
  • Instead of making us click a confirmation after every add, Just use a status bar or something to the effect.
  • Maybe have the option not to show Recycle Bin in the list to shorten it. The Recycle Bin should be a given for an effective tool.
System Info:
  • Change the order of hard drive info from name, partition count and size to name, size and partition count.
Additional Thoughts:

You want us to send you PUP, spyware and other malware reports. How about if you develop a system that we can upload our reports to your server when we do our reporting. You might also lock that feature to a key and only give out keys to certain people so that you don't have the potential of hundreds of zip files on your server?

I think it could be cool if you added a feature like Unstoppable Copier to UVK...... I'm not sure about this one. It would be nice to have it handy but does such a feature fit? I do use that tool occasionally but I was thinking it would be one less tool I had to keep track of if UVK had a feature like that.
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Fred
Site Admin

Re: Here is a list.....

Post by Fred »

Thanks for the suggestions, Jim. I'll apply those to the next update.

As for the reports, I'd prefer if people just posted here. It's easy, you can even drag & drop zip files to upload them. I'm not interested in malware sample files, only reports from third party apps and PUP program names.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Brink

Post by Brink »

Please don't remove that ticks for recycle bin. Unchecking really speeds thing along on old slow systems that don't have enough RAM and have a slow Hard Disk. (Which I am seemingly plagued with having to repair) We would like for everyone to have at least 8 gigs at this point and an SSD but some folks just insist on having me patch up that old computer from last decade. I do strongly recommend that they replace it, but I make no money if I flat out refuse to work on it.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

I really recommend you guys prevent executing files in the recycle bin folder. There used to be nasty malware that used to run from there. Really hard to remove.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred,

My request was to remove files from the "affected" list that were in the recycle bin to save space in the list. If it is in the recycle bin I see no reason to let it run. It's in the recycle bin for a reason.

Also, on the malware info. I had no intention of sending you samples. My thought was "send reports and send logs to UVK server for evaluation" being an option. I thought this way we could make sure you got log files and it would just be a part of our normal daily process. We can drag and drop them here but to be honest with you, You see how well I have done that and I have even had a few that I really wanted to send to you. I just never "got around to it."
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

OK, Jim, I think I messed it all up. So which were the 'ticks for the recycle bin' that Bring mentioned?

Fred
Brink

Post by Brink »

Not trying to execute anything from the recycle bin. I was only trying to get you to leave the option to not use the recycle. Delete strait to oblivion. It make a speed difference on old systems of which there seems to be plenty.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

OK, got it. No listing of recycle bin files.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred,

Yep, we know we don't want those to run so there no need to clog up the "affected" list with them when we are not going to allow them anyway.

Leave the recycle bin as a default prevented path for sure, for sure.
Jim