[Fixed] 7.8.0.1 crashing on System Info section

Use this forum to report bugs you find in the software.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
Fred
Site Admin

Re: 7.8.0.1 crashing on System Info section

Post by Fred »

OK, thanks for the info, ghandi. Just one more thing: Is UVK 7.8.0.2 retrieving the Windows product key from BIOS correctly?
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
ghandi

Re: 7.8.0.1 crashing on System Info section

Post by ghandi »

Fred wrote:OK, thanks for the info, ghandi. Just one more thing: Is UVK 7.8.0.2 retrieving the Windows product key from BIOS correctly?
'Windows product key from BIOS' is blank. But that is correct as it isn't stored in BIOS on my PC.
Charger440

Re: [Fixed] 7.8.0.1 crashing on System Info section

Post by Charger440 »

I did a Windows 10 box earlier tonight and it did pull the BIOS key like it was supposed to.
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

I just ran 7.8.0.3 system info. It DID work BUT, it took a whopping 37 minutes to complete the system info.

This is bad..... help!! :) :? :(

This was on 2 computers so far.... one windows 7 and one Windows 10
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

It could be a server problem, when getting the external IP address. Let me know if this happens again.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

12 minutes so far....
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

It's weird, because I didn't change anything that could increase the time to retrieve the info. Is this happening to anyone else? It's working fine for me. Even in a Windows 8.1 super slow VM, it takes less than a second to make the list available.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

If it's not happening to anyone else, I can dig a lil deeper but it has happened on 2 totally different machines and while it's doing that, it completely locks the computer up. It's really weird. BTW as of this post, it is still working on system info so it's prolly about 30 min by now.....
Jim

Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

I just tried it on a fresh install windows 10 and it took about 30 seconds. So it worked fine there.
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Just tested in my laptop, Windows 10 and all my VMS:XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8.1. System info working fine. Have you tried disabling the AV protection temporarily? Can't think of anything else right now...

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

On the windows 10 box I did disable the av but not the windows 7 box. The 10 box has crappy Norton and the 7 box has avast.
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Hum... This sounds like the Windows product key from BIOS is still causing problems. Jim, I will do some changes in the function that retrieves the product key from the BIOS and upload a debug build in a few minutes, OK? Thanks again.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

I'll test it after my "8 hour" nap
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

OK, sleeping beauty. Have a good nap.

Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

OK, this debug build does not try to get the product key from BIOS. Users experiencing the issue reported by Charger440, please download this build, then move the downloaded file to UVK's install dir, launch UVK and switch to the System info section. Please report back if the issue does not happen in this build.

Thanks

Edit: Forgot to post the link

www.carifred.com/uvk/UVK_debug.exe

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Working well for me on two Windows 10 x64 and a Windows 7 x64. None had key in BIOS though.
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Thanks for reporting, Bill. I'm not sure of what is happening yet. Let's see what Jim has to say when he replies.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred

I just ran the regular version on another Windows 10 laptop and it took a considerable amount of time.

I also ran your debug build and it had no difference on my computer.

This is crazy odd....
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

It's definitely odd, Jim, but we'll sort it out. I uploaded a new debug build. This time I removed HDD information from the System info. Mind to try it out? Thanks.

www.carifred.com/uvk/UVK_debug.exe

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred,

Then I run the debug app it still shows HD info. On my personal Windows 10 laptop it works perfect. Nice and fast.

Could you maybe send a PM or something explaining how the system info section works? Maybe I can figure where to look if I know exactly how system info works. There just seems to be no rhyme nor reason to this issue
Jim