Now that UVK autoupdates....

Do you know of a feature that UVK should have? Post it here!
Xander

Now that UVK autoupdates....

Post by Xander »

Could the version info in the main window (or, alternatively, in the About box) link out to the Changelog page?
Muhammad Tasneem

Re: Now that UVK autoupdates....

Post by Muhammad Tasneem »

I think for branded licensee it is not good. :)
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

That’s a good idea Xander. Not that it’s hard to go look but I like the idea. 8-)

Muhammad,

Curious why you think it’s not a good idea. Maybe you’re thinking of a reason I haven’t considered. :)
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

I know what Muhammad means. Linking to the Changelog page will reveal the true origin of the application, which I'd bet most of the users that have the branding license would not want.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

I'm just curious about what the topic title means.

AFAIK UVK has always auto-updated.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

I may be missing something but if you’re leaving it installed for your customers to use. All they would have to do it click the 2Browser or help tab and they could figure out the program very easy. There are other ways as well. I don’t care so much either way on this. I just think it’s a good idea.

Not sure about the title but I would bet (because it happens to me all the time) it made or makes perfect sense to xander. :lol:
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

I can't say it's a bad idea but not sure what good it would do. You can look at the change log anytime and if you subscribe to the update thread you get a message pointing you to the download page where you can see the new stuff. Either way is fine with me, I personally doubt I would use it much.
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Xander

Post by Xander »

I don't leave it on systems...ever.

And I haven't seen UVK update itself until a couple of months ago. If it was supposed to have autoupdated before that, it was failing at it.
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

I don't leave it on systems either. Except my own.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Xander, UVK only updates to stable versions, but it's been auto-updating for many years. If you were using the beta, you might not notice it because sometimes beta version become the current stable version, so ther's no auto update because you already updated manually to the beta.

Fred
Xander

Post by Xander »

That's probably it, Fred. I've never had stability problems with the betas so pretty much always run those.
Xander

Post by Xander »

Fred wrote:I know what Muhammad means. Linking to the Changelog page will reveal the true origin of the application, which I'd bet most of the users that have the branding license would not want.
If someone is leaving UVK on a system, all the client has to do is change the Help button behaviour to get that info.
Brink

Post by Brink »

A simple right click and show properties on the desktop icon also reveals the program path and hence the name. Plus the UAC dialog when you start the program tells you. I never leave it either except on mine. And Fred is right - We don't want them to know what the program really is.
Xander

Post by Xander »

And I'm not debating that point at all. My mechanic doesn't leave his diagnostic equipment in my trunk and I don't leave software that could "do more harm than in good in the wrong hands" on client's systems. This is precisely why I asked for the UninstallUVK option in the SR section - to make sure I don't forget to remove it.

That said, this is why I thought having easy access to the changelog might be handy; to remind myself of what the most recent changes have been.
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

“to remind myself of what the most recent changes have been.” (Xander)

Yep, that’s why I think it would be handy as well. I find myself going to look to refresh my memory, but that works. :)