[Fixed] 7.6.6 watermark

Use this forum to report bugs you find in the software.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
Brink

[Fixed] 7.6.6 watermark

Post by Brink »

7.6.6 watermark: Now that's a lot of hours. I couldn't tell you if previous versions did this.

Brink

Re: 7.6.6 watermark

Post by Brink »

P.S Thats like 9 billion 360 million+ years :) My computer must be the one that's running the simulation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulation_hypothesis
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Thanks, Brink. I'll see if I can find the bug.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Brink, can you please check if the System info section shows the same thing? Thanks.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Brink, do you mind to test this file I attached. You just need to extract to a folder and run DesktopWatermark.bat. Let me know if it's OK now.

Thanks
DesktopWatermark.zip
(216.2 KiB) Downloaded 310 times

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Every once i a while you find a bug that makes you laugh... This is one of them. That is one OLD hard drive!

I just hope Fred don't pull his hair out fixing this watermark thing!
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Was trying to figure out where this post should go... We have a lot of watermark threads going on right now so I guess here is as good a place as any...

Is there a reason that some drives say what they are and others just give status and hours? It's not that important to me but was thinking in terms of consistency of the information.
767RC.png
767RC.png (36.7 KiB) Viewed 5303 times
Jim

Xander

Post by Xander »

I've got drive status now but, between my PC and the one on my bench, all show drive model; none show Work Hours. Seeing drive health now is a step-up from before.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Because there's only so much info that can be shown in one line, if the application can't retrieve the POWER_ON_HOUR_COUNT SMART value, it shows the name of the drive. I haven't found a hard drive I could not get the work hours value yet, except for pen drives. When I got one, maybe I will be able to fix whatever is wrong in your case.

Maybe those drives have SMART disabled? Can you guys get the POWER_ON_HOUR_COUNT using a different application?

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred,

I just ran 7.6.7 again and made sure to run the watermark. This what I got and it does seem correct.

2016-02-16 (2).png
2016-02-16 (2).png (35.54 KiB) Viewed 5297 times
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Now that's good news! I like it better that way.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

I will test it on a few other computers and let you know how that goes but it is correct for my office computer.
Jim

Brink

Post by Brink »

Sorry for the delay. This is what I get when I run DesktopWatermark.zip.

Then Running it again just a minute or two later I get

milliseconds?
Xander

Post by Xander »

Dug up an old junker laptop and Work Hours are reporting on that (hours agrees with CrystalDisk)
Make that two junker laptops.

Fred, the "PC Identification" string seems to get saved to the INI file so, once I've saved my 'master' settings on my main PC, its PCName/User gets saved to the file and carries over to any other PCs I'm running it on. Could that be set to allow for a couple of variables like %computername% and %user%? For the mean time, I've just put in some generic text.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Xander I totally forgot about that request, sorry about that. That makes perfect sense, I'll add it right away, and also make it the default.

Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Brink, No, it's not milliseconds. I was copying all the six bytes of the SMART raw value, instead of just 4, which is the size of a 32-bit integer.

That issue should be already fixed in the beta 7.6.7.

Here's what I figured out from your image:
86376087306502 = (HEX)4E8F 0000 4106 (6 bytes)

But if we use only the four lower bytes, it will make 0000 4106, which is 16646 (decimal), the same as shown by CDI.

Fred
Brink

Re: 7.6.7

Post by Brink »

7.6.7 Not fixed yet. :( Not like it really matters though unless it has become a challenge that all the fibers of you being must rise up and meet. LOL

If you must rise and conquer PM me and I'll set you up with team viewer so you can look to see about it and run your own tests. Let me know. Otherwise it's really no big deal to me. I was only trying to let you know that it doesn't work as expected on this PC.
Brink

Post by Brink »

I thought maybe you would also like to know that sometimes it shows nothing for hours.

I don't know why it didn't occur to me to mention that before. Sorry
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Thanks, Brink.

In fact, what I did in version version 6.7.6 didn't make any difference, regarding to this. It should be fixed now, in version 6.7.8. Sorry about that.

Fred
Brink

Post by Brink »

Thanks Fred. (That was 7.6.7) Go to bed! :shock: What time is it over there? How many sleepless nights have you spent taking care of our nitpickings?

I'm sure I speak for us all when I say: We appreciate you and thanks for all that you do.