Biggest Pet Peave

This forum is intended for computer technicians only. Post IT related topics here.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
Charger440

Biggest Pet Peave

Post by Charger440 »

I absolutely, positively hate UEFI BIOS.

I agree with Linus Torvalds when ask if he was going to make Linux UEFI compatible. He said "I have no use for that Piece of shit and no intentions of incorporating it in to Linux."
Last edited by Charger440 on Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
wmmiller

Re: Biggest Pet Peave

Post by wmmiller »

+1 It's a pain in the hole! :roll:
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Brink

Post by Brink »

+2 I agree it's a pain.

LOL. It's not really that bad once you get the hang of it. Although I come across a few that do not allow for booting to ATA BIOS mode only devices. THAT should be a required feature for backward compatibility in allow to boot utilities. But then again it is pretty secure.

RUFUS allows the creation of EUFI boot disks. (thumbdrives) and http://techsansar.com/tutorials/create- ... windows-8/ has a pretty good overview on how to handle it with DOS/Powershell commands such as diskpart and xcopy. Although not explained on the mentioned page, I prefer the Robocopy command over the xcopy command.

They are going to continue to find more ways to secure systems against intrusion (Translated:more difficult to repair) But the harder they make it the more likely that JoeBob wont be able to do it. That means job security for us though. LOL
FredJClaus

Post by FredJClaus »

UEFI. I haven't had to do much with it. Cant say one way or another.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Nice post Jim. Interesting. :)
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Brink

Post by Brink »

The thing is that folks can piss and moan about it all they want but BIOS is MBR and will not support booting to GPT partitions. MBR supports max size of 2TB and only 4 partitions. GPT supports up to 9.44 zettabytes. (1ZB = 1 billion TB) It also supports unlimited partitions.
Hard disk sizes have outgrown MBR and therefore BIOS as of late. (Yes, I know you can boot to something smaller and still read GPT.) Regardless of whether we like it or not, time marches on and technology becomes obsolete. I too really hated UEFI when it first arrived. It's still not my favorite. But I must adapt to the changing times and will likely have to adapt to more changes in the future. Linux too will come around or become obsolete. All it would take is for one of the other flavors of Unix to do what he is refusing to do. Linux has an awesome following in the server world, but it's not the only game it town. It was an entertaining rant though. ;)