UVK price change

Use this forum to discuss about anything you want, post announcements and informational topics.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.

Would you be opposed to Fred charging for the next version of UVK? He puts a lot of work into uvk.

Yes
No votes
No
100%
Depends on what he charges.
No votes

Total votes: 5

Charger440

UVK price change

Post by Charger440 »

Fred did not ask me to do this and I hope he does not get mad at me for it but I just wanted to see what you guys think. He really does do a lot of work and I totally understand why he did the lifetime thing. However, a man can only live on $50 for so long.

Thank you Fred for all you do.
Last edited by Charger440 on Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
wmmiller

Re: Uvk price change

Post by wmmiller »

I had to go with a no vote on this. A guy does need to live and I can confirm that living on love doesn’t work. (Wife and I tried that when we were young) I would be very likely to buy in and I would rather that over a subscription, although that wouldn’t necessarily be a deal breaker.

Bill
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

I'm not mad at Jim, and actually I think this poll may help me decide how much I will charge, if I decide to change UVK's licensing system.

I do plan to make UVK subscription based. I know some people, including myself don't like subscriptions, but it's the best way to ensure that the development of the software will continue.

I plan to keep the same prices, $50 for the branding license, $30 for the common license. These prices include one year subscription. License renewals will cost the same as TTS's.

Full list:
  • New branding license purchase: $40 USD + desired subscription (or license extension).
  • New common license purchase: $20 USD + desired subscription (or license extension).
  • Subscriptions, or license extensions:
    • 1-year: $10 USD.
    • 2-year: $18 USD.
    • 5-year: $40 USD.
For instance, purchasing a new branding license with 2-year validity would cost $58 (40 + 18), a common license with 5-year validity would cost $60 (20 + 40).

Comments on these prices are welcome. I don't think they are very high, but they will ensure that development work will still generate some revenue when the UVK's "purchasing" audience is exhausted.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred

I'm OK with subscriptions when there is value there. You do offer value. You continually update it, you add new features when ask, you are generally easy to reach in the forums. I've never tried emailing you because the forums are generally good enough.

To me other places go wrong because their subscription prices are pretty high. You have to take into account, while you do spend a LOT of keyboard time and research time, a lot of the repair options are just automating other peoples stuff. This does have value in it's self and it is still worth money. The over all experience you create with your products and your attitude are worth money.

That being said, I would give you $50 a year. I know when I purchased your license it was "lifetime" but I never really considered that to be "true." Any one that is serious about supporting you and uses your product everyday like most of us should know that you can not continue to develop indefinitely on that one low lifetime license. From the very beginning, if you were successful, which you were, you were on a crash coarse for this conversation there was nothing you could do to avoid it. With your fair pricing (although I think they need to be higher) I have NO issues with my "lifetime" license not being lifetime.. It just can't be, to be fair to you and help ensure you continue to develop your software licensing has to change. That's just my opinion :)

Side note... $50 a year is just $4.17 a month. One trip to McDonalds covers 6 months at that rate :)
Jim

FredJClaus

Re: UVK price change

Post by FredJClaus »

What is really meant by "Lifetime". Life of the person, or life of the product? I don't mind one bit that Fred is considering charging for this software yearly, in fact I encourage it. This is the only program I know that has a lifetime license, and I think its taking way too much money away from Fred and all the work he does is worth much more than what he earns.

$50.00 per year for a license is perfect. The extensions are a nice thing to do, but I don't think they are required. I would gladly pay the full 50 per year.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Hum, not sure if you guys are suggesting I charge $50/year, or if I wasn't clear on what I plan to do.

Users only pay $50 once, to purchase a license. That's not your case, because you already have a license. Users who already have a license will be entitled to a free upgrade to the new licensing system, and one year license validity for free. Once users have their new license, they only have to pay $10 per year, OR 18 each 2 years, or $40 each 5 years.

That is what I meant by license extension, or renewal. I would never charge $50 per year. It's too much for a software product.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred,

I think that is kinda what I was thinking. I figured you would charge me $10 a year for after this if you decide to change.

However, none of us can decide your pricing. That is totally up to you, your the man in charge. You have to remember though, I'm not just paying for your software, I'm paying for your time, support and willingness to listen and help. There is software out there that is WAY more than $50 a year so it is a fair price and one that I would throw down in a heartbeat.

With that in mind, only you can decide how much you are willing to sit there and code for hours is worth to you.
Jim

reggaemanu

Post by reggaemanu »

Charger440 wrote:There is software out there that is WAY more than $50 a year
With almost no support !

I also think you could charge more Fred.
Although I don't like subscriptions either it is only for the software part and like Jim said you spend a lot of time for support, answering, and fast updates and that could be paid with a subscription (well...more than 10$ a year ...). To be honest that's the first software I bought for which I'll be glad to pay more ... :p
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

reggaemanu wrote:To be honest that's the first software I bought for which I'll be glad to pay more ... :p
Manu

That's exactly my point. :)
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Well, that's nice to hear, guys. My point is, I know I promised free lifetime upgrades, but unfortunately, if keep my promise for much longer I will have to drop UVK's development. I just wanted to be sure no one will be upset with this change. This new licensing system allows me to ensure UVK will continue to generate revenue even if new license purchases drop down to half of what it currently is.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred

I know you are concerned about the whole lifetime license thing but the reality of it is, you have to make money. Under your lifetime license, while it was great to get people interested and get people to buy it, it's just not sustainable in the long run. We all understand that. However, to cater to your concern side, you could offer something like. Those who do not want to pay a subscription can still get the program free for life but only one or two updates a year to the latest version. Those of us who chose to pay you will get real time updates. While not ideal, that is one way to do both the promised lifetime updates and do a subscription.

I gotta be honest with you, I know you said $10 a year but you set it to $50 I will be the first one in line to throw down $50. The reason that is important for you to hear is this, when I talk to someone about software and they say subscription, my next question is why? What gives it that value? In your case, the almost constant updates and user requests, gives it that value.

Let us know what you decide. If it's less than $50, you'll prolly wind up getting that from me anyway so it really don't matter :)
Jim

wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

I’m in, let’s do it! I also think you could up the yearly extension fee some. As has already been said, the support here is great and suggestions are discussed and input is welcomed. I’ve said it before and will say it again. One of the things that I really like about Fred is, even when I ask or don’t understand something that I maybe should know. He never says, Bill, you’re a dumb ass! He just helps me. Thanks for that Fred. :D
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Bill, I could never say you're a dumb ass because it is not true. I think you're a very smart guy who knows how to do many things, even though you health doesn't help much.

Thanks for the votes, guys. For now I'll keep working on this C++ UVK. There's still much work to be done, so I'll have the time to decide about the new license price.

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

While you are working this will accumulate more votes and comments (hopefully) to help you decide what is best for you.
Jim

Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

One more thought....

Since not every one checks the forum regularly like we do. What do you think about messaging all the members and letting them know there is a poll that they can provide feed back on?
Jim

Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Hum, that doesn't comply to the Carifred.com's privacy policy (email section).

Fred
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Fred,

I was actually thinking of sending the forum members a message. This will in turn send those members an email and is within your privacy terms. The ONLY reason I suggest this is to get a get a better picture what people think and help you make a better decision.
Jim

FredJClaus

Post by FredJClaus »

While there is a lot of talk here, can I beat the dead horse about pricing? For me as a technician I think your software is worth far more than just 10.00 a year. 25.00 at the very least.
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Poor horse. :( Lets make glue. ;)
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Lol Bill, you already got glue ;)
Jim