UVK price change

Use this forum to discuss about anything you want, post announcements and informational topics.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.

Would you be opposed to Fred charging for the next version of UVK? He puts a lot of work into uvk.

Yes
No votes
No
100%
Depends on what he charges.
No votes

Total votes: 5

steve2189

Re: UVK price change

Post by steve2189 »

wrc559 wrote: *I would prefer to keep my lifetime key.
**New model should be used on new customers and not old customers. Like most companies who offer first in best dressed - First comers who "found" the software and "assisted" in creating what it is today get to keep their old setup, where as new comers pay the new fees.
I agree.
I own some Malwarebytes Anti-malware lifetime licenses, they recently went through a similar process. The original licenses were lifetime licenses, and then they changed to yearly subscriptions. Malwarebytes honoured the lifetime license for their original customers (who are "grandfathered in" to the new plan) and applied the yearly subscriptions only to their new customers. I think that is the fairest way to handle the situation.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

steve2189 wrote:
wrc559 wrote: *I would prefer to keep my lifetime key.
**New model should be used on new customers and not old customers. Like most companies who offer first in best dressed - First comers who "found" the software and "assisted" in creating what it is today get to keep their old setup, where as new comers pay the new fees.
I agree.
I own some Malwarebytes Anti-malware lifetime licenses, they recently went through a similar process. The original licenses were lifetime licenses, and then they changed to yearly subscriptions. Malwarebytes honoured the lifetime license for their original customers (who are "grandfathered in" to the new plan) and applied the yearly subscriptions only to their new customers. I think that is the fairest way to handle the situation.
wrc559 wrote: Perfect example of a company changing pricing, new clients only.

https://forums.zoho.com/topic/zoho-assi ... ss-pricing

Normally I would agree with you fellas. I do think MBAM Should stick behind the lifetime licenses. Especially since I make a lot of money selling them. :) As far as ZoHo goes, yea, it stands to to reason that people would be grandfathered in. Both ZoHo and Malwarebytes spends thousands of dollars advertising. They both have R&D departments. They have office buildings that are thousands of square feet.

In MBAMs case they stood to loose LOT of money if they kept up with that scheme so they were forced to drop it. With ZoHo, they just decided the next round of people needed to pay more money so they could pay the employees better.

You know what ZoHo and Malwarebytes has in common? They are multi-million dollar companies.
You know what they have in common with Fred? Well, they are in the same business.... kinda.

I'm having a hard time thinking of a program which is in a boat like UVK. Can someone help me think of a program that is still in existence in which all of it's customers for the first few years never paid another single dime to the program? I'm coming up with a lot of freeware, I can think of a whole ton of people using really old versions of software. But, I can't think of another like UVK.......
Last edited by Charger440 on Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
FredJClaus

Post by FredJClaus »

Just curious, can anyone tell me what programs would be in the same category as UVK? I only know D7ii. Is there any others? Not asking about price, but rather what UVK does.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

d7 and RepairTech(Based on d7(at least for now))

I'm not aware of any others at the moment and they are both high price subscription based.
Jim

FredJClaus

Post by FredJClaus »

Thanks for the info. I remember trying repair tech but forgot about them.
Xander

Post by Xander »

Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

As to the intent of that image, fair enough.....
Jim

mikebesurfing

Post by mikebesurfing »

OK You guys this is how I see it. Yes he did have a lifetime licensee option but this is a small company it could stay a lifetime licensee and with no new cash coming in he would have no way to pay the bills, would be forced to get a job and would not have time or motivation to do any updates.

Just my 2c
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Mikey made his first post!!! :)

(It's OK guys, I annoy him in person a lot!)
Jim

wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Hi Mikey,

Welcome. It’s nice to have you here. Watch out for that Jim guy though! :lol:

Bill
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

wmmiller wrote:Hi Mikey,

Welcome. It’s nice to have you here. Watch out for that Jim guy though! :lol:

Bill
:lol: Bill

Mike lives about about 45 min from me. It's kinda interesting that he picked this as his first topic to post on....
Jim

wrc559

Post by wrc559 »

How many active users are in this forum -
Maybe 20?
How many licenses has friend sold? Maybe 100, this figure is truly unknown.

How many technicians are their in your country?
Possible 20,000. I know their is a bunch just in my small town. I bet their is 100,000 in my country.

I see no shortage of new income for Fred, perhaps some aggressive advertising, or referral system can be setup to bring in new customers.

I won't purchase a subscription lincense. Full stop. Reasoning is behind the fact I just purchased a lifetime. Why are the members of this forum arguing with other members to push this idea through.

When a subscription comea out, buy it. But dont force it upon lifetime users.

The subscription may be coming, so when it comes surender your lifetime license and sign for the subscription one. This is the biggest joke in software history.

Especially for its members to be bullying other members into complying to fit their own agenda.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

WRC

I was debating not responding to this but I think some things need to be cleared up, as best as they can be anyway.

Anyone who owns a license to this software, in my opinion, should be active users. If you are going to make money with it you should keep up on all the information you can about it so that you know how it can continue to help you with your business. You should voice concerns here and you should suggest features and possibly projects to make it all work for your business.

You are very right that, Fred could advertise a lot more and get more people that way but what does advertising take? Money, and how do we get money?

You have already made the statement that you're just a casual user but does that mean you work on 5 computers a month, a week or a day? If it's a day, I think you are beyond casual use. You got Xander that said he would never pay another dime for uvk because he got a lifetime license but if Fred would rename it uvk2 he would pay Fred what ever he wants. You said we have an agenda here and we really don't. We just want to support Fred and all the hard work he has put in for us. Fred is the ONLY one making money directly from uvk.

Bottom line is, although opinions in this forum will be taken into consideration, ultimately, it's up to Fred. He will decide what is best for him. To be honest, when he finally decides, we will all be surprised.
Jim

wrc559

Post by wrc559 »

I service probably 1-2 computers a month. As i purchased the software to future proof my need to find software. Same with TTS. I purchased the key for future demand.

If Fred were to decomission the software and stop improving it, then i would classify the software as inactive and the key as inactive. There for it would warrant a refund on a prorata basis for unused time.

I am getting tired of coming to this thread and it should be deemed as closed.

Don't post threads like this on the developers behalf in the future. It would only damage his brand as he is not active in the discussion.
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

I noticed in the poll that so far the unopposed outweighs the opposed. Every single vote is unopposed. Just an observation.
wrc559

Post by wrc559 »

wmmiller wrote:I noticed in the poll that so far the unopposed outweighs the opposed. Every single vote is unopposed. Just an observation.

Poll was closed before we all got a vote.
5 positive votes should not indicate a change is necessary....

I will not argue with Fred needing to make money, only the fact that this whole thread is fanboy biased.
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Ha! I did not notice that. I guess it's more like a stick than a pole/poll then. :lol:
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

wrc559 wrote:
wmmiller wrote:I noticed in the poll that so far the unopposed outweighs the opposed. Every single vote is unopposed. Just an observation.

Poll was closed before we all got a vote.
5 positive votes should not indicate a change is necessary....

I will not argue with Fred needing to make money, only the fact that this whole thread is fanboy biased.
Thanks for pointing that out. I had not realized it was closed. I initially set it for 3 days because I thought that would be enough time on such a topic to get more than 5 votes.

I guess I am just amazed at how few people keep up on news about something they paid for.

As for this thread being fanboy led, well, let's just say by definition, there are no fanboys in this thread. If for some crazy reason Fred said "OK, starting tomorrow I have UVK2. If you want to use it, that will be $299 a year and you can keep your UVK license but I won't update it any more." I can tell you real quick in a hurry that will be the first one laughing on my way out the door. HOWEVER, Fred does does deserve more than just the one time payment for ever.
Jim

Xander

Post by Xander »

Charger440 wrote:You got Xander that said he would never pay another dime for uvk because he got a lifetime license but if Fred would rename it uvk2 he would pay Fred what ever he wants.
Way to fit the reading skills stereotype of backwater Missouri.
wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Knock it off guys. Let’s just let this go and see how things shake out.