[Fixed] New feature to fix "Profile could not be loaded" not working

Use this forum to report bugs you find in the software.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
reggaemanu

[Fixed] New feature to fix "Profile could not be loaded" not working

Post by reggaemanu »

Hi Fred,

Yesterday I had a computer with two corrupted profiles so I tried the new feature (ie. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1273 ) but it didn't worked (it just rebooted the computer).
Then I tried to apply it manually and it fixed the two profiles.

By the way, wouldn't it make more sense to put that feature in "quick user manager" section? (just add a "repair profile" feature if a .bak regisrty key exist for that profile)
Charger440

Re: New feature to fix "Profile could not be loaded" not working

Post by Charger440 »

Was there a third profile or did you have to boot to a live disk to get to the profiles?
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Manu, the fix for this issue is "Fix corrupted user profiles", but you did not mention it in your post. Can you confirm you used that fix? Thanks.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
reggaemanu

Post by reggaemanu »

Charger440 wrote:Was there a third profile or did you have to boot to a live disk to get to the profiles?
There were two other working profiles.
Fred wrote:Manu, the fix for this issue is "Fix corrupted user profiles", but you did not mention it in your post. Can you confirm you used that fix? Thanks.
Yes Fred, That's what I used
reggaemanu

Post by reggaemanu »

Still not working.

I had another computer with a corrupted profile today and tried to fix it with uvk but it didn't worked.
I fixed it manually without problem with the same procedure as in this topic
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Hi Manu.

I can't make UVK switch the registry key names as in that topic's procedure, cause it will bring back bad profiles that have already been switched off. So I'm using a different detection method, but it seems to not work well.

What would really help would be to export the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList key to a reg file and post it here.
One thing we humans have in common is that we are all different. So, if you think you're weird because you're different from everyone else, then we are all weird.

Fred
reggaemanu

Post by reggaemanu »

Fred wrote:Hi Manu.

I can't make UVK switch the registry key names as in that topic's procedure, cause it will bring back bad profiles that have already been switched off. So I'm using a different detection method, but it seems to not work well.

What would really help would be to export the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList key to a reg file and post it here.
I already fixed the profile but I still have the computer on bench so I can send you that key tomorrow :)

I think the best way to implement this fix would be in the quick user manager section.
If a .bak key is detected for a user profile it would enable a "repair" button (at the bottom right, where there's already the 6 buttons) to switch between the actual and .bak key. That way it would not bring back anything automatically.
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Yes, but the real problem is, most topics in the web tell users to switch the key names, removing the .bak from the good one, and adding it to the bad one. This makes a bad key with the .bak in the end. A very bad idea. Now we have .bak keys everywhere, and we don't know whether they are good or bad, unless we log that user on and check.

That is why I needed the registry key's data exported before the fix was applied.

Fred
reggaemanu

Post by reggaemanu »

Personally I don't rename it as .bak but as .old to make the distinction (but anyway, when this is fixed the key can be deleted)
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

That's exactly how everyone should have done since the beginning. Now I'm just afraid of bringing in bad profiles instead of fixing them. Do you get what I mean? In PC's that have already had the issue, and it was already fixed.

Fred
reggaemanu

Post by reggaemanu »

Fred wrote:That's exactly how everyone should have done since the beginning. Now I'm just afraid of bringing in bad profiles instead of fixing them. Do you get what I mean? In PC's that have already had the issue, and it was already fixed.
Yes I understand, that totally make sense as long as it is automatic, it could cause more problems than fix problems !
That's why I suggested to add it to user manager so it could be done only manually and not automatically to avoid this problem. Plus if it didn't fix the problem we could eventually re-click the button and switch back the two profiles.
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

I guess I will chime in here....

Every time I have had an issue where ".bak" was a relevant fix, there has only been one active user profile and using the UVK fix would not work anyway as you can not log in. That being said I do realize you can enable the admin account or create another profile but both of these require you to boot from another disk or possibly use the recovery console (never tried it that way) so why not use a live disk with a remote registry editor. Then follow the procedure listed.

You can rename it .bak, .old, .dontwork or what ever else you like so that windows will not recognize the key name. Then take the .bak off the corrupt(good) one then reboot and your off and running. You can then use regedit to delete that other key all together if you like.

I would LOVE to know what causes that though. I have fixed several computers that have had that issue and never found a real reason for it.
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Manu, I'll be waiting for you to post the REG file. Thanks.

Fred
Xander

Post by Xander »

I use .bak for good and .bad for, well, bad. Bad but saving it because it'd be reckless not save it.
reggaemanu

Post by reggaemanu »

Hi Fred,

Here is the profilelist reg key.

The wrong key is renamed as .old, and I changed RefCount and State to 0 in the good profile (sorry, I don't remember what was the value of those keys before I change them)
Attachments
profilelist.zip
(963 Bytes) Downloaded 193 times
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Thanks Manu. I'll make some tests and upload a new build ASAP.

Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Post by Fred »

Manu, as soon as you can test this feature again, please report here whether it worked or not, so I can mark this topic as Fixed, OK?

Thanks.

Fred
reggaemanu

Post by reggaemanu »

In fact I've already used it one time since you updated the function and it seemed to work (well, this time it did something and said it fixed one profile) but it didn't solved the problem. Then I tried to manually fix it and it didn't worked either. I'll let you know next time I can use/test it :)
reggaemanu

Post by reggaemanu »

Hi Fred,

I had another computer with a corrupted profile today and your fix worked :)
I guess you can mark the topic as fixed
Fred
Site Admin

Re: [Fixed] New feature to fix "Profile could not be loaded" not working

Post by Fred »

Thanks for taking the time to report this, Manu. Marked as Fixed!

Fred