DV7 with Caps lock AND Num Lock

This forum is intended for computer technicians only. Post IT related topics here.
Forum rules
We have no special rules for UVK forums. Just try to be polite and clear in your posts.
Please don't post spam in this forum. Spammers will be banned by IP, e-mail and username.
We reserve the right to delete all posts and ban all users we consider not having respected these rules without warning.
Charger440

DV7 with Caps lock AND Num Lock

Post by Charger440 »

If you run across this issue and you have no display

I disconnected power supply
removed battery
removed CMOS battery
Shorted CMOS battery terminals

it worked fine. You can try to shorten that and see if it works....

The link to HP blink codes is here but Solid lights is NOT in that I can tell
http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP- ... 32674#N215
Jim

It is not "Can it be done?" but rather, "How can we do it?"
wmmiller

Re: DV7 with Caps lock AND Num Lock

Post by wmmiller »

I just had a DV7 on the bench that had a bad video chip I think. No POST. I used an exchange service with EBay seller “brickfence”. They have a good feedback rating, the service was fast and pricing was fair. I will use them in the future. They didn’t have an exchange in stock so they fix the board I sent. They replaced the chip and all is fine and working great. To top it off, the woman who the computer belonged to was so happy she gave me an extra $30.00. She had already taken it to Best Buy and it was too much to fix so she didn’t. She never did say what Best Buy told her but I know they are not cheap. Over the years I’ve fix several computers that people had already brought to Best Buy. I like the Geek Squad just for that reason.

This brings me to another point with DV7’s and some others that have the brass screw anchor set in plastic that often breaks. I hate when that happens. In the past I used JB Weld to repair those but have since started using a product called “Q-Bond”. The stuff turns rock hard and holds really well. You can drill it, sand it and tap it if needed. It’s a powder to start with so I normally make or form a cavity with blue painters tape or something like that and then add the glue. (It’s super glue) I’ve used it on many small automotive repairs as well as many computer repairs. I still use JB Weld but more often I use “Q-Bond” when I can.

Bill
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes
Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

I was just looking at Brickfence myself. I have two boards that I think are going to go to them and see if they can fix or exchange. One is a DV6 with the video card issue another is a newer one that might still have it as well but they were supposed to fix that issue...

I will look at Q Bond and see what's up with it. Thanks fer da info :)
Jim

Charger440

Post by Charger440 »

Bill

I was reading up on QBond and a couple people were saying if you use Baking soda with super glue it does the same thing. Should be an interesting experiment
Jim

wmmiller

Post by wmmiller »

Yep. I saw that as well. Haven’t tried it. If you do, let me know how it works.
Play stupid games….win stupid prizes